stupid question from a newbie

I'm working on a circuit and I'm doing some testing. I'm basically following a set of directions. I'm unsure what the directions mean and I'm hoping someone here can help me with it.

I'm using a voltmeter on a 3-prong 10k potentiometer, The directions say the following: "a digital voltmeter should be connected across the potentiometer top and bottom (not the wiper)"

I'm not sure what it means by top and bottom. The pot has three prongs. Anyone know what this terminology means?

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
steveahart

** Means the two ends.

What is "top" and "bottom" depends on the circumstances.

The "bottom" usually means the end that connects to circuit ground or a lower voltage than appears on the top.

Reply to
Phil Allison

Measure from the wiper to either other terminal with pot full cw and full ccw. One reading will be zero, one will be the resistance of the pot.

Reply to
BobG