Stereo backpack electrical conversion

Hi,

I am building a "stereo in a backpack" and need help with converting power the easiest and cheapest way i can. I found a small amp with 3 speakers hooked up that runs off of ac voltage. the transformer is converting the household current down to 12volt ac.

I had an idea of running this setup off of an rc car battery pack - which is 9.6 volts

What do you think? Thanks

Reply to
Josh

And that in turn is converted to DC. What voltage?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

it is not converted to dc as far as i know. the transformer is just changing 120vac household down to 12 volts ac.

Reply to
Josh

Transistors don't run off AC.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

And the "playing time" is?

There is probably nothing cheaper than getting a car stereo power amp and using 12V. Use a gel cell instead of the rc car battery.

Reply to
miso

USE FUCKING HEADPHONES, stop polluting my space with your noise

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Excuse me but i never said i was using this in public - im looking for help on electricity not on what your enraged opinions are.

Reply to
Josh

Hi, I am not using a car stereo - it is an ac powered amplifier device bassically for a computer. I need to fit this in a backpack that can be carried around easily - so the lightest, the better. thanks for your help though. Maybe you would know of arechargeable source of ac?? im just trying to use what i have around my house.

Reply to
Josh

It is a transformer, not a transistor - i am just trying to run a small computer speaker amplifier, off of a rechargeable source of energy. Thanks

Reply to
Josh

You don't have a clue. You really can't do what you think you want to.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Homer is asking what DC voltage is actually used inside the amplifier.

The 12 volt AC will be converted to DC in the power supply section of the amplifier. The thought is that it may be easier to produce the required DC voltages (and bypass the internal rectifiers) than trying to create 12 VAC.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

I dont understand how that would work when the whole amplifier system runs off of AC. The transformer is only stepping down the voltage/ amperage, it is not converting the current. That is what i am trying to do - change the current input from ac to dc source.

Reply to
Josh

And also - this is not an impossible task. I already know how to do this - but it is too expensive, i am looking for the alternative methods out there that people may have messed around with before or came up with.

Reply to
Josh

A car stereo amp can be used as any general purpose amplifier. I try to find turn key solutions before designing my own circuits.

I don't see why you would want an AC powered device if you are trying to be portable. With an inverter, the quality of the AC is terrible. A cheap car amp would do the trick.

To really get an intelligent answer, you need to be very specific. What is the play time? What power output? THD?

Reply to
miso

you have a good point about the quality. I suppose a car amp would be very cost effective, then im not stuck with a cheap pc amp, and speakers. and also i can use better quality speakers that i have laying around. Thanks for the great idea!!!!

That is all the help i need

Reply to
Josh

inside it'll be converting that to DC... find out how much and invent a way to produce that DC.

that'd be doing it the hard way.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

inside it the speaker amplifier the parts that do the amplifiyng will be some sort of transistor, these parts need DC.

try feeding it with 9.6V DC if that doesn't give acceptable results try 12V or 14.4 (battery packs are available in all thses sizes)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen