Source for Extinct IC

Anybody know of a source for the VB408 HV regulator? I realize that they went extinct a few years back, but I need about 20 of them. I've looked at some of the discontinued IC warehouses, but they only want to talk about $200 - $300 per line item. Are there any such suppliers that don't have such an exorbitant minimum order?

The LR8 and LR12 can't handle the requirements... input=150-180 VDC Output=80-120 VDC Imin=8ma Imax=30ma

oh, need leaded parts... no SMT Thanks for suggestions

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end, the faster
it goes.
Reply to
DaveM

Wow, 30 volts dropout!

I realize that they went

Resistor+zener+follower?

Maybe a depletion-mode fet, just for fun?

John

NTE catalog, TV voltage reg modules. cant remember the number, but when I worked for a MRO parts supplier, we stocked them as part of the mandatory stock. (and never sold a one!)

osr

the

Have you looked at the Sanken STR30000 series?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I gues it is the same as from ST (SGS-Thomson). Isn't it?

Reply to
Peter Nyffeler

I used to make a PCB "plug-in" replacement with same lead spacing, made to mount on a heatsink to plug into main PCB vertically. Made about 2100 of them and broke even at $10 each. I quit while i was ahead. Designed and made both positive and negative supply versions.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The dropout on the ones i made, if i remember correctly was about 9V.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Many thanks for the suggestions. The VB408s are needed for repair jobs. The LR8 with an add-on current booster is a possibility, although the overcurrent protection is a problem, mainly due to lack of space for many additional components. I've considered Win Hill's suggestions for increasing the current capability of the LR8. Could try stuffing an add-on board with the current boosting circuitry.

I also found the TL783 from TI that is a possibility. It has the current capability, but the max Vin isn't spec'ed in the datasheet; only the Vin/Vout differential (125V). Also will have to provide some additional minimum load current; its Imin is 15 ma!!! The normal operating parameters seem to be within the TL783's capabilities, but any guesses as to whether it could survive a short to ground on the output with

180V on the input pin? As a last resort, I might have to live with the risk.