Small Spot Size Infrared Thermometers

Since this thing has a small spot size, perhaps I could put a small black dot of paint on metals and keep the setting at 0.95.

I wonder if I can measure the temperature of a glass of water.. Water emissivity = 0.67 Glass about 0.92

Do I point it at the glass or point it at the water??

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Matte black... fine matte. ;-)

You can take readings and apply the math yourself to obtain the correct value from the 0.95 setting (or 1.0).

You need to have a specific window of spectral response to see through glass properly, so not that way... You would point at the water at about

1 to 3 degrees off perpendicular.
Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Neato.. Looks like this sort of thing gets technical enough to seek out a book on infrared temperature measurement.