Shortages and Choosing Alternates

I have not been able to buy some of the parts needed for my designs. However, more importantly, I've not been able to buy my favorite saltine cracker! It has been about two months since I've seen any on the shelves in several stores, including Walmart, Target, Wegmans, Food Lion and Weis. The manufacturer says they are seeing "product shortages" which doesn't say anything really.

Most web sites like this are useless, having been designed by some geeks with minimal training and less supervision. Often features on the web site do not work and links are broken.

I may die without ever having my favorite saltine crackers again, all because of the indifference of baking companies. :(

Reply to
Rick C

Get a culinary guide and start making them.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

What they really mean, is that there's less product in each package.

Martin Rid

well, Rick, are your cracker specifications "tight"? unlike your favorite PLL or CPU or FPGA.. I see many "substitute" crackers in stock - their "specs" seem fairly close to me, Keebler, Sunshine, Nabisco, etc. ;-)

Reply to
Rich S

Substitutions must be qualified and so far none have passed testing.

Actually, in the stores where I shop, there are hardly any saltines in stock. Trying a few manufacturers' web pages all seem to report the same shortages as do the various web sites of Walmart, etc. In PR they tend to have Export Soda crackers rather than saltines. I'm headed back this week. We'll see if they have any of those.

It's actually funny that the "contact us" pages don't even bother asking what you want. They just tell you there's a shortage and they are doing everything they can. No explanation for it other than, shortage of material and workers. Why would crackers have more shortages of materials or worker than any other food product?

Reply to
Rick C

I assume you want this:

They are available in several local Walmarts. You just have to come pick them up.

Worker shortage for the wages they are willing to pay.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Ok, pick them up for me and bring them to my place. Thanks.

As usual, you completely miss the picture. They may be available where YOU are, but zero here. The web page shows me four Walmarts for the zip code it thinks I'm in, close enough, but all empty. Then I type in my actual zip code and it shows me four others that are close and still nothing in stock.

The world does not revolve around you.

You don't even understand the issue. WHY WOULD IT BE ANY DIFFERENT FOR THIS FROM THE MANY OTHER PRODUCTS SOLD, ALL MADE BY AS LOW WAGE EARNERS AS POSSIBLE? I can get all the Ritz crackers I want. I'm getting tired of them though. There's a reason why I like saltines.

Reply to
Rick C

Minimum order of 10,000 boxes.

Perhaps the factory is close to the west coast and they can't find people to ship them to the east coast.

Some low wages are lower than others, depending on the cost of living around the factory as well. In many places, inflation is crushing real wages. So, people stop working and/or move away.

Reply to
Ed Lee