Semi-Trailer Power Supply..

I'm open to input...

for the design of a power supply to operate in a diesel, semi-trailer environment. The circuit operates on 5V at 150mA with peaks of 400mA. The actual device includes 3 microcontrollers, some analog, a DAC, SPI, I2C, RS232, 38,400 baud comms with a satellite receiver, and SPI comms with a wired keypad.

This is a busy design in a noisy/harsh environment internally and externally.

The previous designer chose the LM2937ET - 5.0 but this a big task to ask for such an LDO and I'm not happy with the heat generated or parasidic power draw from the battery when the vehicle is parked.

Ideas welcome. shawn

Reply to
shawnmulligan

Thanks Jim.

Reply to
shawnmulligan

Plenty of switch mode simple switcher (TM National I'm sure) IC's that have ON/OFF pins that put them to sleep at the uA level. The LM2574 P+ will give you ~500mA with a a bit more efficiency, with 13V in and 5V out I wouldn't think that a LDO regulator is as important than the ability to handle the crap that an automotive environment is prone to. Anyway, do a little searching on National, Micrel, TI and others. Lots of options out there.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck