seeking Diagonal cutter with Lead keeper

I have googled and looked high and low for a nice Diagonal cutter I would like one that has the metal attachment to keep the leads from flying away after being snipped. These used to be popular in the 1980s but I don't see them in the tool catalogs anymore. can anyone point me to a specific source ?thanks

Reply to
Steve V

Use a rubber band to hold your cutter closed then fill it with silicon sealant stuff. Once the silicon has set use a very sharp exacto to cut down the middle of the silicon blob, so your cutters will open again. Voila, no more flying leads. I once did this on a OHS safety complaint from some twat, worked a treat.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Even easier is to put some "saran wrap" in the cutter jaws and then fill it with silicone seal on both sides of the saran wrap. No exacto cut involved; the saran wrap will peel off of the sealant quite nicely leaving a one mil (or thereabouts) gap.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

I have some strippers that grip the insulation like that.

If you place the wire "off-die" it would just cut the wire rather than strip.

...Jim Thompson

FWIW, on one job I was on, they actually issued dikes that were already siliconed just like this. "Worked a treat" indeed. :-)[1]

Cheers! Rich

[1] I don't normally talk like that - I'd have said, "Kewl!" or "Far Out!" or some such. ;-P
Reply to
Rich Grise

"Steve V" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Try xcelite 175m and see if that's what you are looking for. Here's one site with photo:

The lead keeper is a small tab next to the cutting edge. It is invisible in the photos. Also, the ones with blue handles are much more refined than yellow or red.

Regards,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

One of my favourites, that design. I normally see them with green handles though. You can see the 'keeper' if you click on the pic - it loads a larger jpeg.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

Yes, the picture is larger. But it might be difficult to recognize where the lead keeper is mounted if you haven't seen one before!

I had my doubts if that flimsy tab would do anything the first time I bought one, but it does work very well.

Green is also nice. It pays to have quiet and calming colors when you are trying to hand solder those ultra-miniature chips under a microscope:) Regards,

Mike M.

Reply to
Mike Monett