Searching for a Little Laser to Cut into Graphics Material

I'd like to put a low power laser on a moveable jig. This is to burn cuts into 16mil vinyl graphics material for art work.

I'm clueless on : laser types laser power laser laws

However..I can design power supplies!

Is there a little laser that can burn plastic that I can order online? And... am I going to need a licence because it's a potential weapon? D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Any particular reason you don't want to use a router like everybody else does? I'd think it would be more economical, and doesn't vinyl release some rather unpleasant fumes when you burn it?

If you really want to go with the laswer, an acquaintance of mine has recently gotten into a similar business:

I haven't seen her in some time, since she moved away, but I suspect she'd be happy to sell you some consulting on the matter to bring you up to speed. She's a bit... "socially fringe", one might say, but technically entirely capable.

Reply to
Terran Melconian

Thanks for the gas warning.. There will be a vent hose on the jig. + other safe measures. I've never ordered from China on Ebay...risky??..

After posting, I did find this interesting site on finding lasers.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Actually, I think my best alternative is to go to a place that has a vinyl cutting machine. There are commercial machines for cutting vinyl graphics around my neighborhood.

I'm guessing there's a laser inside those machines..

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

WTF? Don't you know that burning PVC laser types

You could try eBay for a CO2 laser. Some sellers in China have the tubes quite cheap (I see $400 US ~= $400 Cdn with shipping), and about the same again for the power supply. I'll defer to others on the optics and air jet you'd likely need at the business end of things.

Not much of a weapon. I think the US regulates sales under the FDA.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Look in the yellow pages for "laser cutting" and ask them about it.

Or google:

"about 1,160,000" hits.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Oh no...those laser cutting guys will probably only know about replacement parts..That could be pricy..

1 million hits huh... wow :) Including.. laser hair removal, the Dodge Laser,laser shows, sci-fi laser guns ...etc.. I was hoping for "Crazy Wongs Discount Chinese Laser Supply" to pop up :) D from BC
Reply to
D from BC

Why do you need a laser? See...

I use a little 8" Stika cutter.

...Jim Thompson

As someone else suggested, go to ebay and search for "laser cutter". I got one hit for a 40W CO2 laser tube for $300, and one hit for a matching power supply also for $300. For cutting and marking paper and plastics at a reasonable speed that would be sufficient laser power, and CO2 lasers are the cheapest per watt of photons by far. The problem is that now you have a laser but no enclosure and no optics and no aiming control and no software and no ... and no ... :-). Look at item

330099874262 for what looks like a nice cnc cutter ready to go for small stuff in the 7"x8" range, for $5000 australian ($4000 US). They have much bigger models, as well. I've never used their stuff but always thought it looked good.

-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net (remove nospm or make the obvious changes before replying)

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Actually..the machine I really want costs $30000US..

I'll check out Ebay.. Thanks D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Ain't that always how it goes? :-)

-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net (remove nospm or make the obvious changes before replying)

Reply to
Carl Ijames

as an alternative, you could also try a "high pressure water jet" instead...

Jure

Reply to
Jure Newsgroups

Thanks for the advice.. I'll try the local chinese restaurant. I know the owner....Maybe he can get me some lasers.. :) Just kidding.. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

How about a pair of scissors?

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Everything involves risk. Check the feedbacks CAREFULLY and use a payment method that allows recourse if they allow it, or think twice. This guy looks to have a lot of problems with communication and support (ie. not much of either). That may or may not be okay with you. Heck, you're in BC, I'm sure your next-door neighbors on one side or the other are fluent in Mandarin..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

One of my crazyass ideas was to fake a laser with a magnifying glass and 1000W HPS lamp. Burning ants style...

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

That's actually a good idea.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog