RS485 grounding

There seems to be much debate on this with the searching I've done.

Let's say, simply you have a pretty long connection in a typical office environment between a transmitter and receiver, communicating one way via RS485 and a twisted pair.

I have always used a shield but only ground one end of it, usually wherever the "best" ground is....rcvr or xmtr.

However, I see also a great deal of discussion regarding grounding at both ends through 100 ohm resistors?

------------------------------------------------------------- A

------------------------------------------------------------- B

100 ohm............shield................100 ohm

What is that all about or should I care?

Reply to
mkr5000

You shouldn't care if you can guarantee in some way that A and B will always remain within the common-mode range of the receivers at both ends.

But maybe there isn't a common ground.. or maybe there is but there is a small voltage between the two (with very low source impedance). Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Ground both ends, hard, to the equipment chassis. Why would you want huge common-mode spikes on your data? Why bother with a shield if it's going to have nasty potentials on it relative to the signals?

John

You might also have some big currents flowing in the shield if the "ground" at each end is a different voltage.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
3 different answers -- actually I've been using just an unshielded twisted pair with no problems but I have had a couple of users with some transient problems.

I'm just using SN17576 chips on everything and opto-isolated to boot.

Perhaps they're using a shield.

You're saying DON'T use a shield?....it's just inviting problems?

My guess is the users are using cat5 twisted pair.....a worst case would probably be 300 feet of wire at most.

Only 1200 baud though.

Reply to
mkr5000

org/- A UK political party

Our= podcasts on weird stuff- Hide quoted text -

Which is why you sometimes "get by" by putting some resistance in one side of the ground connection. I see no reason to put 100 ohms at both end though.

George

Reply to
George Herold

The point of the resistors is to avoid nasty *currents* if the customer stupidly sets up a ground loop situation. There shouldn't be nasty potentials with 100R in there, certainly not relative to the CM range of the signals.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

So, in conclusion....

Use shielding when you can (or always?) and connect as I have diagrammed, a 100 ohm resistor from circuit ground to the shield on both ends.

What about protection on A and B as well?

Zener diodes to ground on each leg? (If so, what value woyld you use?)

I'm wondering as well if there is a plug in replacement for the SN75176B that has built in transient suppression?

Thanks very much.

Reply to
mkr5000

The reasoning behind the resistor on each end is that cable runs sometimes get worn insulation and end up with the shield connected to earth ground somewhere in the middle of the run. The resistor on each end limits the current through the shield in such cases.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Maybe 7V (bidirectional TVS not zener). And a series fuse of low current rating and reasonable interrupting capacity. The TVS adds some capacitance that might affect things at high data rates.

Lots claim to, especially the inherently fragile CMOS ones. Nothing on-chip compares remotely to a reasonably large discrete TVS. If you're lucky they'll survive a human body static discharge.

Worry about this a lot if your run goes on a roof, outdoors, or is fairly long (just the induced current from a nearby lightning strike can do some interesting things to solid-state electronics, and even passive compenents). Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Thanks so much.

I'm starting with the TVS diodes and just twisted pair and doing my own "field" tests. I left out the diodes in my design and that may be the greater problem.

I'll play some "Ben Franklin" with a few setups.

Reply to
mkr5000

Conventional wisdom is to ground only 1 end. Much more importantly (as you state) is to use twisted pair cable.

FWIW, someone could probably make a small fortune (cottage industry) making RS-485 protectors for DMX-512 applications. Much higher speed data than you're using.

Either shunts, clamps, opto-isolating. whatever!! For DMX stuff, this could all be housed in a male-female XLR-type "adapter". Put one at both ends (if opto) and totally isolate the copper! Or if clamp, one (at either end) might do the trick?

Anyway, we (our church) would be a customer. For sure. I'm suprised there is not more (and more affordable) protection devices out there for RS-485. Guess it's a matter of supply & demand?

Still, it seems once or twice a year the theatrical lighting controller at our Church gets absolutely hammered with lightning. It's installed correctly. The twisted pair is even in a metal conduit, and NO ground loops. I'm probably going to optically isolate the whole damn thing, but RS-485 was always billed as more "robust" than its single-ended counterparts....

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

You don't say if the connecton is between two factilities. By factilities here, I mean two structures with separate earthing. If yes, then every RS-485 wires in each cable must be earthed where the cable enter than structure. Earthed means a connection to earth ground that does not conduct signals but connects everything else. Avanchle diodes are used but typically have too much capacitance. Other solutions include gas discharge tubes, Sidactors, or special low capacitance avanache diodes.

If the connection is internal, well, get Montandon and Rubenstein's Nov 1998 paper (IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility) to start learing (appreciate) what you must do.

Reply to
w_tom

Intall a good set of lighting rods -- you may only need one if you have a steeple -- with a proper grounding line.