Rigol entry-level scopes - Usage opinion?

My dad's thumb where the umbilical broke off.

Thanks, dad.

John Larkin = narcissistic psychopath: ==================================

** Got a lot to answer for IMO.
Reply to
Phil Allison

When are you guys going to start arguing about the superiority vinyl records over digital?

Reply to
Flyguy

I can't wait for the trade shows to open up again so can harass the lecroy folks again. Maybe even up the ante and offer $5 if they can get the scope to display the test jack signal with no help from the internet.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

The other option would be (I think) to use a dual-channel ADC, connected to the sweep output of the 7T11 and the vertical output of the 7S11. You'd need an ADC which is well synchronized, and fast enough to capture a useful number of points per sweep, but this seems tractable.

I looked at my 7S12, and it has the same inputs and outputs, and so the same trick could probably be used. Might have to give this a try one of these days.

Reply to
Dave Platt

They don't much understand their own products.

Are the electronics inside less the windows 98 computer real special?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Not sure about all of that. Seems like some real basics are being skipped. There's nothing like a plain old analog scope to get started. Same for a plain analog multimeter. Good analog scopes are like $100 off ebay, and still very useful. Not everyting is a 3GHz signal.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Cydrome Leader wrote: =====================

** Enthusiasts ( zealots ?) here are, as usual, claiming more than budget DSO makers ever claim. Eg, you pay way more $s for a DSO with "analog look" and convenience.

Before plying about with *virtual reality* one needs a dose of the real word first.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

hahaha. That's good. A virtual reality scope. I still maintain that if you haven't smoked a pair of the ground clips on a scope, or blown up a meter/fuse trying to measure voltage in current mode, you're just getting started.

Just had an amateur night move myself rigging up a temporary character LCD panel where I had to convert 14 position connectors of 1 row x 14 pins to

2 rows by 7 pins. You have to swap every other wire on the 1x14 connector as the stripe on a ribbon cable with IDC connectors is really pin 2, not pin 1. Forgot about that at first, somehow the display survived complete voltage reversal, but well, the of course the spare LCD needs -5V for contrast, unlike the first.
Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Cydrome Leader wrote: ===================

** Well, that is exactly what budget DSOs like Rigols are.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison