Rigol entry-level scopes - Usage opinion?

** Who is this f****ng idiot ??

** Never in dispute = Massive Red Herring . I dislike smelly red fish.....
** You know SFA about how anything works.
** So you are DEFINITELY a paid professional wanker !
** But I am asking it.
** FFS - now the raving idiot dreams up massive "straw man* fallacy.

Because this jerkoff simply as no case, whatever, to support his wild assertion.

** So all tough little buggers - right ? Not gonna faint on the spot at the sight of a CRT with blue/green trace.
** Fake point - invented analogies do not prove anything. Same dumb fallacy as reasoning from one example to another .

There is one, damn obvious, simple reason modern DSOs are preferred in education institutions. And it has NOTHING to do with student welfare.

Cos that always comes dead last.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

My immediate reaction is 'yes' but I want to understand the use/connection to the computer a little better. My feeling is that the modules sample the wave form and output a voltage corresponding to the amplitude. So I'd need a a/d in my computer, and a driver that reads the output at the appropriate frequency. Then plot out the values over a time? Gotta find the manuals on line and do some reading. TYVM J

Reply to
Three Jeeps

There are lots of applications at lowish frequency (< 50 MHz or so) for which something like a 2465B is brilliant. They're generally analogue, though--looking at the clipping behaviour of an op amp, or the start-up transient of an oscillator, that sort of stuff.

Analog scopes can reproduce the envelope of some repetitive AC transient without caring too much about what the carrier is doing--you can fit a lot of info into a single screen width in those sorts of cases.

Those sorts of measurements are increasingly in the minority, though--even in looking at all-analogue circuits it's super useful to be able to capture single shots and analyze them offline.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Who used a real genuine floppy disk to do just that earlier today)

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

OK, if you want them, email me a shipping address. I have a heap of plugins.

Reply to
jlarkin

My first scope was a Heathkit OM-3.

Have you used a modern color digital scope?

Reply to
jlarkin

On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Mar 2021 15:58:22 -0700) it happened John Larkin <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes

Have you used a modern

I worked for Tek FYI

So are traffic lights sometimes, you wait till it goes red???? OK, when green you get out of there, I see.

You must be doing something wrong....

My Trio Kenwood is from lemme see 1979? makes > 40 years, still going strong. The idea that you need more than 10 MHz bandwidth and all the other crap means you do not understand what you are doing,

My own design scope_pic:

not ask me how I did that waveform, but digital scopes can make you see anything, not always reality. Those are just like teefee, all fake news!!

The analog ones only show real news:

So are the people

Sooo beautiful:

Jan Panteltje

** Built one much the same when at high school. 3 inch, 2MHz fully calibrated.
** When was the last time YOU were a novice ? FFS JL has no f****ng clue at all, about so many things.,

FYI:

I bought a Rigol DS1052E from Hong Kong a few years back.

Use it on special occasions only.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

--------------------------------

** LOL - I got a nice green TV pic on my home made 3 inch even before it was finished.

Just ran a few wires back a forth from my tube B&W TV set.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The DAC is used to set the delay after trigger at which the sampler takes its sample. The ADC digitizes the sampler output. You can't go very fast, a full scan takes a few seconds. Good enough for me.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

If you meet anyone who understands everything, I have a few questions for her.

Reply to
jlarkin

The secondary-emission tubes had low writing rates and fuzzy traces and the tubes wore out. The Tek 7904 (we have one) was a pain to use and the tube wore out.

My Rigol will do a single shot, 4 traces at 1 ns/div, sharp and clear. And I can turn on the cursors and measure things on the stored shot.

I need to do that, on the systems I design.

Really, analog scopes are primitive and fizzy.

I routinely use 20 GHz bw and sometimes 50. My 11801s have a CRT (magnetic deflection!) but are really digital scopes. They are samplers so don't do single-shot; they can sweep at 1 ps/div. We have real digital scopes from 100 MHz to 7 GHz and need them.

Cute, but analoog scopes only work well with analog systems.

Reply to
jlarkin

On a sunny day (Sat, 20 Mar 2021 07:46:47 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You made a lot of good points, but really that last one makes no sense, I build a 300 MHz analog back in the days (middle seventies I think it was) and was just fine looking at digital circuits. The circuit was actually from Tek, was published in an electronics magazine here. I later met the guy who published that, he told me he got some head wind from that,,, For higher frequency stuff simple spectrum analyzer is often enough. And you have to know what you are doing of course. And heterodyne Have not done the pick-a-second ultra short stuff though.

Big plus from the new stuff is that it weights less. In my TV studio days I was running around with a Tek on a scope cart all day.. That Trio analog is very heavy too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

We need to fire fast single shots and then analyze the patterns and the timings, quantitatively. No analog scope will do that.

Analog scopes are OK for audio stuff and simple, repetitive 555-sort of digital.

But they are still heavy, monochrome, and slow.

An analog scope shows waveforms. A digital scope shows and remembers and measures.

My 11802 must weigh 60 pounds. One of my engineers works out so he moves it for me.

Reply to
jlarkin

Huh, I've seen a lot of spendy (not all that great) brand name 'scopes in student labs. (physics). And used a couple of cheap ones.. (from brand names.) I'd suggest buying one or two each of the Rigol and Keysight. And test 'em out. I'm sure there are other good low end 'scopes out there, but I haven't found them. (AFAICK, keysight has crippled their high end 'scopes to hook the low end market. if 70-100 MHz is enough, you are getting a bargain.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

===================================== Phil Allison

** Pathetic, f****ng stupid " straw man " idiocy .

There is no difficulty for the clueless to remain silent, except for their lack of good sense.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

=============================== ** Learn to f****ng trim - asshole !!

** In real time, very accurately, without confusing artefacts. Plus, unlike DSOs, are very intuitive to operate .
** And will many times do all those things very badly. Mixed frequency signals, even square waves appear quite wrong. Voltage and frequency can be way off. And it remembers its the errors for you too !

Jl is not simply tone deaf - he is generally defective.

Must have got oxygen deprived as a baby in the back of that 1936 Ford.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Get a better probe.

Not on my scope.

My scope includes a 6-digit frequency counter. The cursors measure period and display the inverse frequency to 1-pixel accuracy.

The screen is huge, too.

Reply to
jlarkin

=================================

** LOL - get a better brain asshole.

** Massive Red Herring !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JL simply ignores the topic at whim.
** Massive Red Herring !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JL simply ignores the topic at whim.
** In order to match JL's massively bloated ego. A fake compensation for his tiny, defective brain. Must have had a terrible time in that 1936 Ford.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

And my fuzzy vision.

If an old analog scope makes you happy, stay happy. They wouldn't work for what we do.

Yes. People say that I almost bled to death.

John Larkin = narcissistic psychopath: ================================== >

** What stopped you ?

..... Phil

Reply to