RGB LED

This seems to be a multi-vendor common footprint for RGB LEDs, a PLCC6 package. It's nice in that the diode connections are independent, so one can use any handy drive circuit. The blues generally need more voltage.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

Cool, I'll have to check those out.

Big fan of RGB LEDs. It's amazing how much information they can get across. I've been using these Rohm SMLP36RGB1W3 parts, which are a little bigger than 0603 size:

D'oh, make that SMLP36RGB2W3R:

That's the problem with RGB LEDs, you have to keep updating your BOMs. Sometimes they go away completely. Everybody go buy a bunch of these so they'll keep making them.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

I need a right-angle RGB to mount on a horizontal board but backlight a small window in a front panel.

One great tragedy and frustration in my life, aside from the cat snoring, is getting LED brightnesses right. People keep changing things, especially the blue efficiency.

 Click to see the full signature

Have you tried the RGB LEDs that have 4 wires and data in, data out , driven by a microcontroller? They're fun... + software controlled brightness...

TTman

Is that an SPI link?

 Click to see the full signature

onsdag den 30. oktober 2019 kl. 23.47.47 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

not quite, it is burst of ~800kHz with a different duty cycle for 0 and 1

an example:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

More like 1 wire, but the protocol is for chained devices rather than addressed. Kinda like configuring a chain of Xilinx FPGAs.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

That is some amazing writing.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

torsdag den 31. oktober 2019 kl. 05.55.49 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com:

you'd prefer it in Chinese? ;)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On a sunny day (Thu, 31 Oct 2019 02:11:16 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in :

mm, ;-) One thing I noticed when driving RGB LED strips is that when you run the Red Green and Blue LEDs from a different PWM clock, then you can very strange optical effects. I had to fix it for my ethernet LED controller, it has 3 PICs, one for each color, and had to connect the PIC clocks all to the same source. It seems for this thing the LED PWM is generated in the LED module, so maybe test a few together before buying a thousand...

Changes in version 0.6 Thing is on all the time... Can even do disco lights,,

Chinese .. China will soon take over the west of the US and Russia the east. I think the main language will be Chinese in LA and Frisco ... Block diagram is from left to right, same with my Chinese DVB-T2 tuner, remote select works from left to right..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 31 Oct 2019 11:22:08 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

Sorry ment right to left 2x Getting Chinese already..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

once you make it adjustable you can forget about it

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Drive your RGB with a programmable current sink, like the PCA9533. Add a light sensor, and automatically calibrate your three LED intensities at turn-on. Then you can concentrate all your attention to cat snoring.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

We usually have a string of TPIC6595s as a giant shift register driven off a uP SPI port. It drives relays, LEDs, SSRs, whatever. LED brightness is set by resistors. We can sometimes have a lot of LEDs on an instrument.

I guess we could use a quad DAC (or a PWM DAC, or just a PWMd supply) to supply the LED anode voltages, one supply for each color, but even that sounds like a big deal.

We could PWM the gate input of the TPIC, but each TPIC could only drive LEDs of one color. That's not too bad I guess.

But what am I to do about the cat?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

I can sort of almost resolve parts of that.

The 2nd language here is Spanish. There are multiple versions of spoken "Chinese." My various Spanish-speaking employees, from all over the world, say they can communicate fine. One of my engineers is from northern Mexico, one from Peru, and they chatter away in Spanish. I never hear the Asians speaking anything but English.

What's funny is that all sorts of packaged foods and veggies here have the labels in two languages, English and French.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

Catnip

Reply to
Steve Wilson

On a sunny day (Thu, 31 Oct 2019 07:43:14 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in :

Yea, well I hope it stays working so I do not have to decipher my own scribblings.

Spanish, Portuguese is not that far of from our languages, also writing, but Chinese Mandarin is for me still a no go. I started on Chinese, but really I would have to live there some years I think and get language lessons there,,,

Today the first F35 we bought from the US landed here, whole top brass was there, it is just miles away, flew over here,

did not go but was live on local TV:

Think it caught fire ;-) fire guys sprayed it, maybe that was welcome?

Anyways, so much for 'stealth', I was reading we get 34 of these here, oh what fun, better get a helmet, But great to test my tracking system, passive radar should work, IR should work sound with pattern recognition should work.. I think it is the dumbest plane I have ever seen.

So, and I was also reading US army has adopted Microsoft... Now the world had won, I do remember a blue screen and a war ship needing towing back to base...

Not that Linux is perfect, been fighting with the latest changes all day... Some people like fixing things in Unix and than making a monster like Ms-Windows. But.. I have my news-reader working on a Raspberry Pi 4 now. There are a hundred or so more applications I wrote that have to be recompiled from source, OK :-)

Yes, when UK leaves EU (IF??) then English will no longer be used here, German and French I think. Spanish a bit too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On Thursday, 31 October 2019 14:33:17 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com

love seems to work

Reply to
tabbypurr

Else a belly scratch.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Belly scratch will stop the snoring, for a while. Tail pulling seems to work too.

 Click to see the full signature