Replacement options: 512k x 16 SRAM

I've looked high and low with no luck so far....

The current part is:

Samsung K6X8016C3B

512k x 16 asynchronous SRAM 55 ns 5 volt TSOP2 44 pin package.

It is being discontinued, and I need a replacement part which is drop-in compatible for an ancient product which we still sadly manufacture and repair.

Anyone have any suggestions?

--
Aaron
Reply to

I've never specifically been involved with memory chips, but in a few similar analog situations I've made up small "daughter" boards to adapt incompatible pin-outs.

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

Works with digital, too. But it requires writing a whole big ECO and sometimes the timing is critical. There were situations where newer chips that were too fast made it hick up. That doesn't exactly speak for a good design but when it's OEM you've got to deal with it.

Anyway, Aaron, you said "being discontinued". If that means you just heard the clang of the last order bell this would be the time to stockpile. Else it's off to the obsolete part vendors and then it gets expensive.

Curious: Why are these SRAM chips failing in the first place? I have never had one fail since I was in diapers ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I don't know about drop-in, but look at Cypress's CY7C1041B. It's smaller, but nearly pin compatible. Cypress may have a 512kx16 that fits.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

ISSI make the following 512k x 16 in TSOP2-44 : IS61LV51216 (I use this one) IS62WV51216ALL IS62WV51216BLL

A quick glance at the data sheets seems to show them as compatible

I had quick look round some disties and the first and last one are stocked by a few.

Reply to
Gary Pace

That is basically it... we're trying to buy up what we can, but as we only sell about 50 units a year we hate to keep thousands on the shelf.

They aren't failing - the whole board fails and need to be replaced, which necessitates that we keep making a small number of them for replacements. As for why the boards fail... lets just say these are usually used in a "shop floor" environment.

--
Aaron
Reply to

Those are all non 5 volt parts... BSI appears to have something that will do the trick though - at least until they discontinue it.

--
Aaron
Reply to