Repair of a portable computer battery pack

Hi, I'm writing from a Gericom Webshox portable computer of 2001, now the battery pack ( UN241S1 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery Ratings:

14,4Vdc 3600mAh ) is broken son I decide to change the accumulators, I choose 8 NiMH 3,6Ah 1,2V Accumulator.

After the substitution it still doesn't work, the charge seems to be ok, also is I do not understand why is used a 14 Volt supply to charge battery pack to about 5,8V

------------------RED

  • +

- - ------------------white

  • +

- - ------------------yellow

  • +

- - ------------------green

  • +

- - ------------------black

The discharge phase is not ok, the 5,8v coming from the accumulators seems to be blocked in one of the two printed circuits comprised in the battery pack, so my questions:

1) What is the job of these two circuits?

2) It is possible to connect directly the accumulators to the output bypassing these circuits?

3) What the white, yellow and green wires are used for??

4) where I can found a scheme of a typical battery pack ??

5) why the supply is 14v to charge a 5,8v battery pack ??

Hoping in your help

many thanks ...

Antonio D'Ottavio

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Etantonio

Umm... if your batteries ('accumulators') are 1.2V each, you're going to need 12 of them to made a 14.4V battery pack.

A back of 8 1.2V batteries in series should still get you 9.6V; at 5.8V you've just got a bunch of dead batteries.

It's usualy charging circuitry. Many laptops use lithium ion batteries that are quite particular about how they're charged, and these days for best battery life even NiCads and NiMhs are typically charged by 'smart' controllers that monitor how fast the battery accepts a charge, the voltage and slope of the voltage, etc. Additionally, usually the circuitry can measure discharge current as well so that the laptop can estimate the remaining battery life.

It's not recommended unless you get a schematic and carefully study just where the 'outputs' go to. However, the laptop should have a DC input jack somewhere, and you could hook the batteries up directly to it (and provide your own recharging circuitry) if you obtain the appropriate voltage.

I don't know.

Isn't it a 14.4V battery pack?

In general, if you can get a charging voltage that's some 3-6V above the battery voltage you can pretty much ignore have to pay close attention to the charger's design. Bu trying to charge, say, a 13.2V battery pack with a

14V input gets a little more difficult since there's only 0.8V of drop to 'control.'

---Joel Kolstad

Reply to
Joel Kolstad