Relay question

--- Well...

As I recall, If you take a look at a Zener data sheet you'll find that the peak power it can handle (the Zener, not the data sheet ;) increases as the width of the input pulse decreases.

For example, if the input pulse lasts for only a half second, a 10 watt pulse will heat the Zener up as much as 5 watts, continuous, will.

If I recall correctly, TVS diodes have their dissipation rating based on a 3 millisecond pulse, so a TVS diode rated at 1500 watts would really be dissipating only 4.5 watts

--- Yes, I know.

I stated that earlier but made the error that they're not called bipolar, they're called bidirectional.

--- JF

Reply to
John Fields

But, since the standoff voltage is that voltage at which the leakage
current is specied and the breakdown voltage is that voltage where
avalanche occurs, and is roughly equivalent to the voltage where the
MOV goes shorted, the OP's breakdown voltage requirement should have
been your search criterion.

Had it been, your search would have been as unsuccessful as mine.
Reply to
John Fields

Other breakdown voltages were available. Choose another.

No, my design wouldn't require 0% tolerances.

Reply to
krw

--
Voltage is applied across and doesn't "pass through" a TVS diode,
charge does.

--
Tell it to the OP.
Reply to

--
Nice one!

Here's the other side of the coin: ;)

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/HBD854-D.PDF
Reply to
John Fields

--
Tell it to the OP.
Reply to

;-)

You're designing a solution.

You somehow think TVS diodes are.

The point is that the stand-off voltage is the more important parameter. If the breakdown voltage for that stand-off voltage doesn't protect the circuit, the TVS is the wrong solution.

Of course you will.

Reply to
krw

You're the one who needs help with DigiKey's parametric search.

Reply to
krw

;-)

Yes, and one that works.

If you have other suggestions, then suggest a device, not just a fruitless way of searching for one.

--

>>>No, my design wouldn't require 0% tolerances.
>>
>>---
>>Fuck you, smartass, are 1N5360s 0% devices?
>
>You somehow think TVS diodes are.
Reply to
John Fields

--
Goodbye, dear boy...

Plonk!  :-)
Reply to
John Fields

;-)

It's only fruitless because you refuse to learn. I can't help that.

Simple. Your search technique screams such. You're looking for the wrong parameter and don't know how to search on even that.

I was trying to teach you how to use DigiKey's search engine, obviously an impossible task.

It wouldn't matter if I found you a perfect TVS, you'd use your "solution".

Reply to
krw

Can't stand the heat...

Reply to
krw

John Fields:

Wow! Finally a decent quoting! ;-)

Now you only need to put just two dashes and a space before your signature and we're almost done. :D

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

...and a .

Reply to
krw

--
I was right the first time around; you _are_ an asshole.

Plonk.
Reply to
John Fields

John Fields:

Why? Because I inflict to my readers tons of already read text, so that they are inclined to skip my posts?

Or because I have to jump in a trench, so that even if the "enemy" says something right I have to deny it or, if someone shoots an idiocy from my same trench, I have to cover it with suppressive fire?

Too bad. :-(

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

Yes - they're MONGO Zener diodes, and ISTR reading somewhere that they're optimized for fast switching, although that could be marketing hype.

But, they don't need any hype in my book! I swear by them, from experience!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise