Reducing Pulse Duration

It's called learning to ignore Larkin... you'll note I never respond to his taunts... just throw jabs from behind the curtain >:-}

I had some health problems... still have some remaining... going under the knife Sept 7 to remove a fistula between my colon and bladder :-(

But, in the past three years I've dropped ~50 pounds and feel great... no medication changes... never really was on much: Atenolol for BP, Diclofenac Sodium for creaky joints, Terazosin for the prostate. My BP typically runs 116/65.

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

But you haven't learned to ignore me. You have killfiled me, and killfiled followups to me, at least a dozen times by now. Somehow it never sticks.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Of course there are always many ways to skin the cat... see PulseShrinker_2.png on the S.E.D/Schematics Page of my website ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

I don't suppose that counts as a Godwin...?

Reply to
JW

Family name on my mother's side ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Generally, whatever you post is just noise and isn't designed to do
anything but to get attention and to let you slip into the limelight
for as long as possible.
Reply to
John Fields
[snip]
[snip]

Bwahahahahahaha... ROTFLMAO >:-}

After you ;-) ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Many people don't have the guts to brainstorm. Very few have enough guts to brainstorm in public.

Heck, sometimes I post bad ideas to throw my competition off the track.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

But you, of course, being as needy as you are of acceptance will throw
shit out there just to get attention.

>Heck, sometimes I post bad ideas to throw my competition off the
>track.
Reply to
John Fields

You need an edge circuit, normally done with a small cap in series to the trigger circuit.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Series capacitor, pick a size that lets "say 250ms +80/-20%" worth of pulse through, details depend on source and load impedance. diode up from ground for the reset.

Jasen Betts

The circuit relies on, a slow rise or on with a fast rise on ~reset being faster than than ~threshold, there's fewer transistors between ~reset and the flip-flop so that seems like a safe bet.

Jasen Betts

What

uS rise and fall times for the input pulse. The 555 would not respond to f ast pulse transitions, your circuit relies on the 555 recovering from RESET while the input trigger remains less than Vcc/3 long enough for TRIG to re spond and trigger, otherwise it would remain locked up in off state. So the phony circuit does require an RC on the pulse input to hope guarantee reli able operation.

It's not a safe bet, the old 555 datasheet used to have a graph of minimum required /TRIG duration required for reliable triggering as a function of t he signal level, it was something like 200ns at voltages near V+/3. The cir cuit shown may possibly give small blip output on the negative input edge t oo.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I expect the minimum /TRIG time is met by the pulse even if the reset is asserted. It would likely be a much smaller time for /TRIG hold after /RESET released, perhaps even negative. Likewise, it is unlikely the leading edge of /TRIG will assert before the /RESET does. In essence the longer delay path internal to the 555 timer would delay the /TRIG pulse relative to the /RESET pulse allowing correct operation.

However, I wouldn't be relying on such undocumented chip features in any design I implement. I'm very surprised the simulation worked but it is not unusual for a simulation to miss such detail oriented problems when a cruder model is used.

--

Rick C
Reply to

. What

is

on

r,

1uS rise and fall times for the input pulse. The 555 would not respond to fast pulse transitions, your circuit relies on the 555 recovering from RES ET while the input trigger remains less than Vcc/3 long enough for TRIG to respond and trigger, otherwise it would remain locked up in off state. So t he phony circuit does require an RC on the pulse input to hope guarantee re liable operation.

mum required /TRIG duration required for reliable triggering as a function of the signal level, it was something like 200ns at voltages near V+/3. The circuit shown may possibly give small blip output on the negative input ed ge too.

No one would use this design. He needs to split the input pulse into two pa ths: 1) direct to /RST and 2) thru R/C lowpass to /TRIG at RC=1.5us. Then it's no problemo.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

as drawn it gets 1 second of trig.

it's not a microprocessor it doesn't need to "come out of reset" it just needs to resume.

from the natsemi data sheet:

Q25 which is responsible for reset needs to turn off, it's a PNP emitter follower that should be fairly fast, especially with a 12V rising edge sucking electrons from the from the base

meanwhile the trig signal needs to go though q7 input buffer and Q8 (half of a differential pair) and Q18 which drives the set input, of the flip-flop. Q18 is saturated, so it will take a while to turn off.

the falling edge is less clear, nothings going to happen until the input goes below 4V but it looks like a slow edge would cause more problems than a fast one.

Jasen Betts