Rectifier-LP filter circuit

Hi, I'm analyzing a circuit (which I didn't design). It's part of a meter that outputs a DC voltage related to a 1kHz fairly low-level square-wave signal. Supply is +/-8 regulated. The JFET op-amps can handle +/-30V differential input voltage (provided the inputs don't go below the negative rail in particular).

This circuit is a little different from what I'm used to using for the precision rectification/LPF stages. C7 is polarized, minus on top, BTW.

Can anyone see a good reason for D3? (or R13 for that matter, other than to increase the noise)?

Thanks!

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Just love oddall circuits!. The fun bit is to figure out what's going on without starting spice. I make it as a negative going peak detector with a 1 second TC . C7 fast discharge via D1, C7 slow charge via R15. R13 is needed to provide a defined

0V, as with no input signal the setup could ratchet itself to one of the supply rails. D13 is a real puzzle. Maybe a opamp 'bypass' under negative going heavy slew?.
Reply to
john jardine

Doesn't look quite right to me... maybe some typos?

...Jim Thompson

It's not a rectifier, it's an inverting positive peak detector with gain of 12.1.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I don't see that at all. With no input signal the output of the first op-amp should flicker back and forth between +0.6 and -0.6 to maintain its inverting input (pin 2) at zero. Since 2 is a virtual ground, I don't see that R13 does anything useful.

Or maybe vestigial from an earlier op-amp that couldn't take much differential input voltage.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Looks like that doesn't it? .. but that's not how it behaves (in simulation anyway), and not how it functionally has to work.

The waveform at pin 1 is exceedingly ugly. Looks like it's slew rate limited.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

[snip]

Methinks it's one big typo.

...Jim Thompson

That's what I thought but didn't post after looking at the old datasheet.

BTW, didn't you buy one of those Atten Spectrum Analyzers in China? I was wondering whether to buy one for road use, just like Jim wants to buy a projector (because clients sometimes may not have one). Thinking about the Atten 5011, anyone know whether it's ok and how good the data transfer to a PC is?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That would be right, looking at the schematic of the TL082 in the TI datasheet, you see a bipolar Class AB output stage with 64 ohms in each emitter joined to a common 128 ohm in series with the output. That's about 200 ohm making for a 1ms time constant for the 4.7u load, while things are open loop. I'm not sure about D3, thought it maybe a reverse current compensation for D1 but R15 contributes so much bleed current, don't think that's it. Another possibility may have been for a nonlinear resistance, expediting reaching a balance condition when voltage drop exceeds 0.6V or so, but don't really see how that fits in that diagram. Must be for some kind of transient response that's not obvious, don't think it has to do with ESL on C7 since U2B should be able to follow anything U2A dishes out, but maybe, dunno. Are those gif's a simulation or measurement?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Or deliberate obfuscation, but it seems to work (in simulation) regardless. I wonder if it's one of those things where someone fiddled with something on the bench until it seemed to work satisfactorily.

Anyway, I'm going to start from first principles as usual; just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I have seen circuits where it was almost like that. One version migrated into another, then another. At the end of the week schedule pressure built up and it was all hastily sent to layout, along with parts in there that no longer had any function. Like a transistor with collector as well as emitter to ground.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Simulation. The designer does some fairly silly things elsewhere so your reverse current thing might be the answer (if there is one).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

[snip]

My favorite configuration....

A peak detector is also shown in the last few pages.

...Jim Thompson

Spehro Pefhany a écrit :

I don't buy this reverse current thing at all. The diode is across inputs of a buffer that's buffering a slowly changing voltage, hence sees essentially 0V. More, why would you want to compensate any such low current when R15 deliberately injects a huge one?

For me D13 is reminiscent of some "designer's" irrational fears. I see that a lot. As for R13, it's just an excellent way of increasing by a 12 factor the input opamp offset contribution to the output error.

Just scrap both, you won't miss them. Some ESR on the 4u7 would probably be wise.

On another post you say it's not supposed to work as a peak detector. I don't see it working otherwise and your sim waveforms look bogus to me. What's it supposed to do?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

It takes a peaky, maybe saggy, AC square wave and produces a DC (low-pass filtered) voltage related to the amplitude of the bit after the peaky bit and before it gets a chance to sag too much. Hence the "peak detector" and some other parts (some not shown) to round off the edges. I think I can replace a lot of that crap with a bit of digital smarts and some straightforward, noise immune and stable analog circuitry.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:46:46 -0500) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

You should not write manuals....

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

defined

[...] Yep, under normal conditions it would flicker. But, U2A having just generated a negative peak output voltage on the cap has now decoupled itself from any hope of summing point control. Eg, a +100mV input will push 10uA through R16. C7 will be pulled down to minus 1.2V by U2A (~-1.9V at U2A o/p) with U2B and R14 pulling out that same 10uA for VE balance. Drop the input to 0V. C7 sticks at -1.2V (as it should). Hence U2B is destined to still try and suck 10uA out of the summing junction. U2A can only saturate negative. Adding R13 will cause U2A to hold it's previous o/p voltage and the R13-R16 junction to be dragged down to -100mV by the 10uA summing current. The whole lot slides towards 0V over a few seconds. The boss is the voltage on C7. (OTOH I may be totally bolloxed :) Personally, I reckon half the battle with these things is the circuit drawing. My LTspice is knackered so I used this paper spice ...
john jardine

In your scenario, if Vin is 0V and R13 is not there we have 10uA flowing out of the input capacitor (let's suppose it's charged with

+100mV so that the situation in your snapshot exists) so the input voltage at the inverting input drops at 1V/second until it passes 0 (ideally), whereupon U2A's output goes positive and drives the non-inverting input back to zero through D2, right?

I *think* so, unless I'm missing something.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

R13-R16

voltage

Yep. Thanks Spehro. Bolloxed, R13 not needed. Paper spice not correcting current sign for me!. Nasty arrangement, U2A would seem to spend it's functional time, current and slew limited..

john jardine

LOL!...yawn...that is just amazing...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs