Recommedations for marking ICs with a dot

I need to mark plastic ICs with a dot after they've been programmed. Any recommendations for a quick-drying ink or paint pen?

I haven't seen any that are specifically recommended for electronics. But there are some advertised as "low corrosion" e.g.

These Sharpie paint pens work OK but are slow to dry:

The application is only 0-70C, durability is not an issue but smudging is a problem. Thanks! mark

Reply to
Mark White

On a sunny day (22 Mar 2015 17:03:39 GMT) it happened Mark White wrote in :

I have an engraving pen from ebay.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

What about white fingernail polish?

Reply to
John S

I might have to just try a bunch of these ink and paint pens. Or maybe white-out even.

Reply to
Mark White

Fingernail polish? ...Jim Thompson

They make pens that are much like a Sharpie but have a gold or silver colored ink. Like this...

I can't say where to find them, but I would try Staples, Office Depot, etc.

--

Rick
Reply to

--

Rick
Reply to

+1 for silver sharpie.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Or White-Out (the stuff for correcting typing mistakes). It doesn't corrode paper.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I suspect it isn't 'ink', but paint. Paint pigments with gold or silver might be conductive (and a drip in the wrong place could be awkward). Try yellow-orange-red-lime colors instead.

Mostly, don't people use preprinted labels (with version and date) for programmed hardware bits?

Reply to
whit3rd

** Ordinary acrylic paint dries fast enough and does the job.

White seems to be the favourite colour for this.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Back when we used to test Op-amps for voltage drift with temperature, the good ones would get the silver pen and the great ones would get gold.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

whatever the graffiti bombers use dries fast. over here Ironlak is popular. but the faster it dries the worse the fumes are.

If a 5 minute touch-dry time is acceptable I'd just go with an ordinary xylene solvent paint pen. application of a hot-air blow will reduce the drying time.

chip packages are pretty solvent resistant

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

You might have better luck at Michael's, or simlar craft places.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Automotive touch-up paint comes in a bottle with an applicator- is cheap if you buy from the remainders bin, and comes in about every color immaginable so you can differentiate versions by color code.

"Oh, that's the light salmon, so V3.1", "no, it looks more like indian red so 4.7"

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On 22 Mar 2015 17:03:39 GMT, Mark White Gave us:

The gold, white, or other color "pens" the auto industry uses to mark tires, parts, etc.

Or a simple mini-dropplet of Testor's enamel (from a pinhead). Must allow for drying time in the second case, however.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Nail polish? Usually cheaper than touch-up paint, and quite quick drying.

Reply to
pedro