Re: What NOT to do when cleaning a mouse??

And because no alcohol made is purely without water, no matter how high the proof, it will slowly (perhaps 8 hours, perhaps a day depending on the water content) come back to life.

You can hasten the process by a slightly elevated temperature, but I'm loathe to go above 80F on drying any electronic component for fear of shortening the x axis of the bathtub curve.

Jim

-- "If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." --Henry Ford

> That didn't totally cure the intermittent "click", so I gave it a good > flush with denatured alcohol. > > Two hours of drying later, it wouldn't come alive. > > Four hours later it's now working, but wants to turn itself off at > random :-( > > Oh, well. > > ...Jim Thompson
Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

The mouse is behaving quite well now. Since I always have a spare on-hand I'll think I'll make that a regular cleaning procedure ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The first part of the thread doesn't show on my server. What did you do? Dunk it in twelve year old Scotch?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I poured denatured alcohol into the battery compartment and it ran out around the buttons.

After around 8 hours of drying it's working like new.

...Jim Thompson

water

Hopefully it didn't carry any essential stuff out with it. If it's the Logitech that I have then at least it doesn't have bearings with grease in them.

How do you get so much crud into it anyhow? Eating chips while doing CAD?

One thing I did find is that it pays to install better contact switches into a lot of stuff. I always keep a bunch that have good tactile feel and are nicely sealed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

the

water

Peanuts ;-) Actually I have oily skin (*) which collects on the buttons and, I'm sure, goes down into the innards, collecting dust.

(*) Bugs the wife something fierce... she's always needing lotion for her dry skin... I never do ;-)

When I find a mouse I like I usually buy three at a time. I rarely repair anything... time is MONEY.

...Jim Thompson

In your case, since presumably $30-$40 is not a lot of money to be without, how about hiring someone to spend the hour or so doing it? Have any reasonably competent teenagers living nearby? That way you can spend more time working making more money, you "employ" someone, and you keep the shears out of the landfill.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yeah, but it took only 20 minutes. Plus I had a beer (can't do that with a teenager around) and listened to stock market news in the garage. Usually I combine such chores with the barbeque start. Letting a neighbor's kid work with the rotary grinder to sharpen the blades also has its challenges and scares.

Of course Murphy struck. The chain saw threw its chain. Oh man ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The time spent to find a reasonably competent teenager, or even a non-competent one, willing to do it would possibly exceed the time spent to do it oneself. :-(

To say nothing of teenager + sharp object + litigous parents = lawsuit. :-(

Of course, there's the risk of getting O.S.H.A. on your back:

:-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

sted

ut,

more

hears

Funny, but reality is geeting closer. Professional bullriders used to be protected by only leather chaps and one glove. Now some are wearing chest protectors, helmets, face masks, etc.

Richard Henry

I have been using a logitech ball mouse since they first came out. Far better for gaming, and for mousing, one does not have to have as much desktop space available since it stays in one place. Mine is old, but the optical read technology they have now is real good. I wish they would re-introduce the early physical design with the modern inner works. Hell, I may try a retro-fit one day, since I have two.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

It is worth it, if one is trying to keep that crap out of the landfills.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

EWWWWWWW! Just think of all the paw crud!

Talk about breeding super germs!

Hollow out the center and bury your fire safe in there!

That's one piece of furniture a robber would not try to carry off.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

You might recall how, in hockey, there was a time when there was very little protection as well. The first guy who, as a goalee, decided to start wearing a wire face protector was roundly lambasted as being quite the sissy... even though he'd already had his face smashed up quite badly not once but twice from stopping a puck with it.

These days, some of the extra protection probably has to do with insurance costs... by the time you get to the level of, e.g., professional boxing, the athletes have quite generous disability insurance policies in place. As soon as injured athletes starts translating into extra expenses for the organizers/promoters, it's not at all surprising that suddenly there's an emphasis on safety!

Reply to
Joel Koltner