Re: Voltage Multiplier Question

>My Usenet reader is playing up so if this is a double post I >apologize: > >I am experimenting with a wind turbine home built with a brushless, >permanent magnet, >three phase Fisher and Paykel washing machine motor. > >To do some tests, I have used a variable resistive load and, by >manually >varying the load on the wind turbine, I have found that a 6km/h wind >can >generate 10W, a 12km/h wind can generate 80W, a 23km/h wind can >generate >640W and a 46km/h wind can generate over 5KW. > >The problem is when I use batteries instead of a variable load. >At lower wind speeds, the produced voltage of the motor >is not higher than the batteries, so the turbine just spins and spins >but >does not make any useable power. The turbine only starts charging the >batteries at 20km/h winds, which is a shame as a lot of power just >flies by >without being collected. This is a battery impedance mis-match >problem. > >So I think it would be very worth while designing a circuit that >doubles >triples or quadruples the voltage at lower wind speeds, so that I can >get >every last bit out of the wind. > >I have looked at voltage multipliers, and since the F&P motor is three >phase, I wonder what your opinion is of this circuit right at the >bottom of >the page: > >
> > >I was thinking of using a microprocessor to control mosfets to select >the >optimum output voltage for the RPM of the wind turbine. Each mosfet >would be >connected to each subsequent voltage doubler point. > >I am not too familiar with voltage multipliers, hence if anyone has >any >opinions on their use in this purpose, I would be very interested to >know. >Voltage ripple is not much of an issue, I am more interested in what >the >efficiency of such a circuit would be or any drawbacks that I have not >forseen.

As you have forseen, a multiplier stage cannot be easily deactivated, largely because the control switch has to deal with AC current. Controlling mosfets in the diode positions will not be effective because they only control in one direction.

You already have rectifiers in the circuit. By locating suitable inductors on each phase, before these rectifiers, a single PWM'd boost switch located after the rectifiers can be used to transform the apparent impedance of the battery load. This is easily disabled at higher input voltages, simly by turning the switch off completely.

Examples in this survey by Jang and Jovanovic:

RL

Reply to
legg

There is a way around this problem.

If the MOSFET is in series with a capacitor and is switched off. the substrate diode will conduct for a couple of cycles and charge up the capacitor. At that point no further current will flow. This would allow you to switch out a tripler without too much trouble. Turning the MOSFET back on will be trouble, however because the stored charge must be dealt with.

Another way to attack the problem would be to gear up the speed so that the voltage is always higher than desired. You could then use an SCR based circuit to reduce the voltage back down. The required inductor will be physically large but since the windmill is big and heavy, nobody will care.

Reply to
MooseFET

The real problem is the presence of the capacitor in series, and the fact that rectification is performed in the circuit. You can't short it out - only an open circuit deactivates it - meaning a whole new rectification path is needed in it's absence.

The multiplier has advantages that may be mis-applied in this situation.

It might be easier to process the energy and to control the effective load impedance, if the control function is positioned after the rectifier. Easier to do at home, anyways......

RL

Reply to
legg

If the rectifier is a tripler, just opening up the capacitor leaves you with a simple rectifier.

If you make a bridge rectifier, you can make it a doubler by connecting one side of the source through a capacitor to ground.

The MOSFET can be turned on with a photovoltaic isolator. This will turn the MOSFET off and on very slowly.

I'm not suggesting that a multiplier is a good idea. I am just pointing out that you missed a point about the bad idea.

I don't know:

Go to the junk store and buy a Variac. Replace the knob with a pulley. Put a smaller pulley on a small electric motor. Buy some weights. The electric motor turns the Variac down and the weights pull it up. When the voltage to the motor makes just the right torque to balance the weights the Variac setting is just right.

:)

Reply to
MooseFET

There are many things you can do with a big ball of string, but please keep in mind that the OP is working with a 3ph, 'variable' frequency, 'variable' voltage source. Variable, in this case, being as predictable as a mule.

RL

Reply to
legg