Re: Switching between 20 receivers and one speaker set ?

Imagine you have to run an audio store.

> > There are 20 receivers and only one 7.1 speaker set. > > You as salesman want to switch between the receivers as to compare > receivers. > > How would you connect the speakerset to the 20 receivers and how would yo=
switch between them ?
7.1 speaker sets come pre-connectorized for the various amplifiers. No store wants to cut off the connectors (which would be required to wire in a switch assembly), so the store will have 20 receivers and 20 speaker sets (some of which will be 5.1, some 7.1, some stereo).

If the switching was really required (like, to allow a wall-of-sound set of builtin speakers for a home theater to be demo'ed), you'd probably wire speakers to a 24-pin connector (similar to the power plug on a PC motherboard) and for each amplifier have to custom-build a wiring harness to a suitable mating plug. Adding an A/B two-way switch would then require a switch box with two input sockets and an output plug. A full 20-way switch box is ... uneconomical.

While '7.1' only requires 16 pins on a connector, there will be unit- to-unit differences (powered subwoofer or unpowered subwoofer?) that will benefit from extra connection points.

Reply to
whit3rd

The store that I visited has simply some wire available to do whatever they want.

So connecting the speakers to a switch wouldn't be a problem at all...

Having 20 * huge 7.1 speakers in the store could become a problem... and is not really needed since the speakers don't come with the receivers.

Just a few speaker sets will do for the receivers. Even one would be sufficient.

Store had something like 5 to 8 receivers on display or so.

And many home theater sets with their own little boxes.

I think one of the receivers was connected to huge boxes.

Salesman appeared to be having troubles performing a successfull demonstration of the receiver I was interested in... it appeared to me he did not have any switching facility which made things problematic.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

There is no spoon.

43rd Law of Computing:
Anything that can go wr
fortune: Segmentation violation -- Code dumped
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.