Re: Sinusoidal oscillator configuration

I am looking for a minimal hardware circuit to generate a 125 kHz

> sinusoidal wave to be fed into the power stage that is in turn feeding > an antenna. The wave is used to generate a carrier frequency for an > RFID application. > > I was thinking of using this
> ] crystal in a Pierce Oscillator configuration. However I am not sure > if this crystal will work in that configuration. Also, I can't seem to > figure out what the output would look like. Would it be a square wave > or a sinusoidal? I came across a diagram that pictured a sinusoidal at > the inverter input and a square wave at the output for the Pierce > configuration. Is that correct? > > I would greatly appreciate any pointers on this. >

What is your field requirement in A/m at __ distance? The antenna usually means a coil around a big piece of ferrite. Therefore, it is narrow band if you can't afford too many losses. What is your input power requirement? If efficiency is important, then you may have a problem: The antenna is an R-L-C where R is small and Q is high. Look at the variability of the inductance and resonant frequency. Also saturation of the inductor will change the frequency. You will find it is the antenna setting the frequency requirement and not the crystal.

I would recommend either a free-running power oscillator at the R-L-C frequency or phase locking it to a crystal. Be careful when selecting the capacitor that resonates with the coil - the AC voltage can be hundreds of volts, depending upon your power output.

Kaschke makes some antennas of varying power handling for these 125 kHz applications. Some have the capacitor built-in and they are pre- tuned.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Raffaeli