re-post 24volt dc 100amp motor speed controller

Hello all,

Required please a circuit for,

24volt dc 100amp reversing motor speed controller with dynamic breaking slow speed high torque required for the 750W 24v motor. This is for a miniature seven and a quarter inch gage railway engine of the type used to pull sit upon carriages that will carry several adults or lots of kids. Power source will be 2 12volt leisure batteries about 65ah.

TIA

George.

Reply to
George Gosbee

Suggest you buy one from these guys:

They seem to know what they are doing.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

£173 is why not.

George

Reply to
George Gosbee

Use PWM on a high power MOSFET to control the motor speed forward.

Do PWM to a resistive load for dynamic breaking.

Use a (big fat) DPDT toggle switch for reversing the motor.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

Anyway to get the braking to put some power back in to the batteries?

George.

Reply to
George Gosbee

If the motor is a series wound type, it is difficult to do regeneration. If it is a shunt wound or PM type, then it will become a generator when the PWM drive is turned off. Some H-bridge type PWM drives turn on two transistors to short the motor and provide dynamic braking. Otherwise, the body diodes of the MOSFETs or IGBTs form a full wave bridge which dumps the generated EMF back into the main supply. However, sometimes this is not of ideal voltage and current for charging batteries. For this, a second full wave bridge can be added and connected to a switching DC-DC converter and a supercapacitor bank for quick storage, and then an idealized charger circuit that can fully utilize the energy stored in the capacitor bank to recharge the battery bank with ideal current and voltage.

Unless you have some long steep grades or need to make a lot of stops, you may not get much useful regeneration.

You might find a suitable DC motor controller on eBay cheaply enough, and possibly modify it for regen. However, motor type will be the first consideration to determine what to buy.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

"George Gosbee"

** The torque output from a DC motor depends on the amount of current flowing it its coils - however, the heat developed in the same motor depends on the square of that current value. Hence - one soon runs out of available torque if you do not want to burn out the motor.

The power ( which does the useful stuff ) developed depends on the torque multiplied by the rpms while the rpms depend on the applied voltage.

So, the best way and most efficient to use a DC motor to do useful work is to have it spinning fast with a moderate current flow. I suggest you best forget using a costly and fragile PWM controller for your application.

Arrange the two batteries so that they can be switched in series or parallel when in use, ie to give 12 or 24 volts.

PLUS use a variable gear system ( sun and planet ? ) to couple the motor to the drive wheels.

Get so much torque it will skid the wheels.

Very scale.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

slow

the

lots

I cannot begin to advise you without a LOT more information about the motor. How is it built / what motor class is it? Series, shunt, compound, universal, stepper, PM, induction, other?

--
JosephKK
--Schiller

Hi Paul. Lets say George is driving along at about 16V (66% PWM) and takes his foot off the 'throttle'... the motor is generating about 15 or 16V, but he cant put that back in the 24V stack... a big contactor could disconnect the motor from the main battery and main pwm speed controller to a braking pwm controller that would pwm the motor onto the cap bank to control the brake force... The Maxwell Boostcaps I've seen are rated at 2.7V... I guess its obvious that we cant throw the generated 16V onto a 2.7V cap right? So we need a series string of 9 or

10 of them? As the motor slows down, the generated voltage goes down, and at some point reaches the cap voltage, at which point there is no more braking force due to loading the motor with the cap bank. Guess we need real brakes at this point? Then when we are back on the throttle again, the cap bank would need to be dc to dc converted up to charge the 24V stack and drain the cap bank. Any of this sound right or wrong? Seems complicated, but doable.
Reply to
BobG

I have not actually done it yet, but essentially you can have a second full wave bridge across the motor, connected to a wide-input switching power supply. No big contactor is needed. The output of this supply may be optimized for charging a capacitor (constant current), or for charging a battery (a little more complicated). The DC-DC converter adjusts its PWM to produce the desired amount of braking at any motor speed, and hence any voltage it may produce. This can be done up to the maximum parameters of the capacitor or battery pack, without overvoltage or overcharging. Thus, on a long downhill, with a near fully charged battery pack and capacitors, you might lose braking or risk overheating and damage. At very low speeds, motor generation becomes negligible, so you need at least some sort of mechanical friction brake, and it should be present also in case of failure of an electronic component.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

It might be worth speculating whether the components of that wide-input switching power supply are already there, in the main bridge. There just needs to be some way of using the bridge to turn the motor's generated voltage into a constant current output, back into the battery.

Battery+ ---+---+---------------------+---+ | | | | |-+ | | +-| ---||Q1 /_\\D1 D3/_\\ Q3||--- |-+ | | +-| | | L - Vb + L | | +---+--)))--[Motor]--)))--+---+ | | | | |-+ | | +-| ---||Q2 /_\\D2 D4/_\\ Q4||--- |-+ | | +-| | | | | Battery- ---+---+---------------------+---+

I've added an explicit external dc inductor, in series with the motor. It may or may not be needed but is useful for explanation.

Suppose the motor has been motoring under PWM control, Q1/Q4 Off, Q3 On, and Q2 doing the driving PWM. The motor has acquired a back-emf of Vb, in the polarity shown in the sketch.

So now we need to go into regenerative braking, from that direction of motoring.

Set Q1+Q3 to Off, and Q2 to On. Chop Q4.

Every time Q4 goes On Vb supplies current into the inductor, storing energy. When Q4 goes Off the inductor discharges the stored enery into the supply.

Q4, L, (and D3) are now operating as a flyback dc-dc converter, drawing current from Vb and feeding it back to the battery. The flyback has the advantage that it just delivers current, developing whatever voltage is needed to do it. Note that the current is drawn from Vb continuously because Vb is still in circuit during the flyback.

Lots of details to work out, such as varying Q4's On/Off timing as Vb decreases, but it might be a goer.

Umm.. I wonder if is possible during regen to chop both Q2 and Q4 with the same waveform, let L charge up with whatever polarity Vb is, then let D2 and D4 sort out the discharge. That would be braking from either direction automatically.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

full

failure

I just do not get all this assumption of DC motors, a dynamic breaking AFMC (also called VFD) can do the job, and uses easier to work with voltages for

100 HP (75 kW) motors.
--
JosephKK
--Schiller

But dynamic braking doesnt recover any energy. We are trying to make the batteries last longer!

Reply to
BobG

It sure does if done correctly.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller

The 'key', is that you need to be talking about a particular 'type' of dynamic braking. Regenerative braking, is a form of 'dynamic braking', but instead of dumping the energy, it is fed back into the storage device.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Dynamic braking is shorting the armature so the armature tries to lock. Regenerative braking tries to recover the generated volts. I have never seen the two terms confused till this thread. Slot cars used dynamic braking in '67 and no one was confused over how it worked. We are talking about technical terms. Lets use accurate wording.

Reply to
BobG

Dynamic braking, as a 'term', just implies adding load so that the voltages being generated by the motor, provide braking force. The load can be direct shorting, resistive, or feeding into a circuit to do work. If the 'work' is recharging the batteries, then it becomes 'regenerative'. You will find that some vehicles like fork lift trucks,have 'regenerative dynamic braking' units fitted. There is no confusion, _except_ in thinking that 'dynamic braking', automatically implies the power is wasted. Regenerative braking, is the 'descendant' of traditional dynamic braking solutions, in putting the power to constructive use.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett