Re: OT: Superglue tip

I've been using this method for about two years.

>To clean the tip, use Kleenex or Puffs with lotion. >No tissue build up on the tip. Keeps it sparkling clean. >Also, keep it in the refrigerator (been doing that for decades). It almost >never dries out when kept cold. >Besides getting stuck to it, that nukes the two non-operator problems with >using superglue.

I would decant cyanoacrylate adhesives into bottles with stainless steel blunt needle tips. Something like these: Of course, with such a small diameter needle, the tips tended to clog. That was actually a good thing because it would seal the bottle and not require a cap over the stainless syringe tip. To clean the tip, I used a common butane cigarette lighter. Heat the syringe tip and the glue would ignite and disappear in a puff of smoke. If you keep the needle in the hot part of the flame, there's no residual carbon and therefore no cleanup. Note that this doesn't work very well with gel adhesives.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com

Lately I use Bondic for sticking most things. It's just the right viscoscity for pushing around where you want it, and it cures in a couple of seconds when UV hits it. It seems to last forever in the applicator.

The tiny EPC GaN fets are very fragile. I dab them with Bondic, push it around with a toothpick to make a nice protective dome, and zap it.

Bondic only cures where UV can hit it, so epoxy is better for bonding parallel planes.

--
John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

They got smart, heard complaints and now sell four packs of tiny dispensers.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bondic is a bit expensive for occasional use. It claims to be high temperature resistant but I can't find any numbers.

Bondic - Liquid Plastic Welder - LED UV Light Activated Bonding Tool Waterproof And Heat Resistant - Starter Kit With (2) 4 Gram Adhesive Tubes CDN$ 52.20 & FREE Shipping

Adhesive/dp/B018IBEHQU/

A cheaper alternative that sounds very similar except you get twice as much:

Lefeng 4 PCS x 5-Second Fix/Fill/Seal/Repair UV Light Glue Liquid-Plastic Welding Tool Pen CDN$ 28.99 & FREE Shipping

Welding/dp/B07CW697L4/

Both of these require that you build up the material all around the join area. The repair has to be in a place where you don't care that the material is built up and visible.

J-B weld is a two-part epoxy with continuous high temperature resistance of

500F and maximum of 600F for 10 minutes. You can apply it between material and wipe away any excess.

Do not buy J-B Weld from Amazon. The prices are outrageous. Try a local hardware store.

--
See Sacred Dance Of The Cubicle:
https://dilbert.com/strip/2011-07-15

My Bondic starter kit from Amazon was $32. It includes three syringes of stuff and the little UV LED. The single-tube version is $14 with free shipping. Bargain. One tube would glop-top hundreds of GaN fets.

Recall your prices are in USD and mine are in CAD.

Can you supply the Amazon links for your two versions?

--
  A successful  man  is  one who makes more money  than  his  wife can
  spend.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Steve Wilson

The Bondic starter kit I originally used:

Suggest trying this instead of/in addition to Bondic:

It seems stouter than Bondic, in an industrial-strength versus consumer-strength sense. When I hit it with my 405 nm laser pointer, it actually smokes. :) The resulting blob is about as hard as epoxy.

You also want some of these:

Oh, yeah, and a pair of these:

... because by "5 mW" they actually mean "Somewhere between 15 and 100 mW."

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

Thanks. To start with and see what it can do, I got this one:

UV Light Glue Kit Clear Adhesive Liquid Plastic Welder 5 Seconds Repair Almost Anything

Price: $11.99 + $8.69 Shipping

Anything/dp/B078XHFYJM/

--
BOSTON DYNAMICS - Do You Love Me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3KWM1kuAw

I got a near-UV "burning laser" that really sets up Bondic. And it will really burn one's skin.

It gives me an instant headache, just seeing the light. UV tends to do that. I can see the spot on the wall with one eye and not with the other.

But the dinky purple LED sets it up instantly.

Here are some EPC GaN fets:

They are super fragile, so need some sort of protection.

--
John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

4 packs for $1US. I use these but was wondering how they were made to dry out so quickly once the squeeze tube seal was broken. My guess(tm) was that the cap thread and the dispenser nozzle thread are not an exact match and would leak air and moisture into the tube causing the glue to prematurely harden. I wrap the threads on the tube with two turns of PTFE tape which produces a better seal. It's not a perfect seal, but good enough to extend the life of an opened tube to about a week. It also works on the larger cyanoacrylate glue bottles.

Superglue Tip Save Money Stop Super Glue Tubes From Drying Out

Unfortunately, the bottom of the tubes also leak: I've tried sealing the tubes with vinyl dip, liquid tape, paint, hot melt glue, etc. All of them work, but hot melt glue seems to be the least messy.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The material is not an air cure media. Cyanoacrylate cures via the introduction of H2O. The even use a bolus of it to seal off small brain aneurysms. It cures on contact with the blood.

The already opened tubes draw moisture laden air back in after use and before capping. It only takes a tiny bit.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Doe wrote in news:rv003v$ps1$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Not one element of that is right. Other than that it should be refrigerated. Only if it is gel type does it present a flow issue.

And you should not touch it with anything, especially an H2O based "lotion". Not only does that potentially introduce water into it, it also can and likely would contaminate the media.

Any expansion over time would ONLY be any air in the cavity. The glue itself remains at the same volume.

Not the tiny tubes, but the larger dispenser tubes and bottles have a steel pin in the lid on manmy brands.

As long as you have refrained from breathing on the tip, it should remain uncured. No need for wiping. The dried outside crust should not affect the bottle or tube if it has a pin in the cap. That pin is what makes it multi-use. And they usually work just fine without any special care.

Your retarded goddamned follow up setting is about as retarded as it gets, child.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Doe wrote in news:rv1hpf$peh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

You are the idiot. You are the group idiot, drillbike boy.

I have used it in the workplace on a daily basis for over a decade at that time. Unlike a f*ck like you that hasn't gone to work anywhere other than your pathetic drill on a bike shop in years.

And you are still so goddamned retarded that you cannot remove the follow up baby bullshit from your baby bullshit posts.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Why did you add free.spam to the newsgroup distribution? Deleted.

Cyanoacrylate adhesive is not a gas or aerosol.

True. However, if you look in your pantry, paint locker, or chemical storage cabinet, you might notice a large number of metal and glass containers which use outside sealing screw caps. It's amazing how many extremely difficult things can be commonly accomplished.

Perhaps it would be helpful if I explained why storing cyanoacrylate adhesive in a refrigerator works. Cyanoacrylate acrylic resins cure in the presence of moisture. Since the RH (relative humidity) inside the fridge or freezer approaches 100%, this would seem to be a bad idea. However, that's the relative, not the absolute humidity. A given volume of cold air can hold far less moisture than warm air. For example, air at 30C can hold 30 grams/cubic-meter. At 0C, the absolute humidity is 5 grams/cubic-meter. With less moisture to react with the adhesive, it's less likely to harden. However, if you open a tube of cold adhesive in a warm room, the moisture in the air will condense on and potentially inside the tube. If you refrigerate the adhesive, it helps to let it warm up to room temperature before opening the tube or applying the adhesive.

Also, chemicals react more slowly at lower temperatures, which also helps preserve the adhesive. I'm not certain whether it's the low absolute humidity or low temperature that is more important. Easy enough to test (yet another project).

I bow humbly before your genius and magnificent intelligence.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

When I had heart bypass surgery, the surgeons used medical cyanoacrlate adhesive to glue the skin back together along the various incisions. No sewn sutures, stitches or staples. It healed fairly quickly, no infections, and can barely be seen today. I also have some medical grade cyanoacrylate adhesive in my first aid kit, which I used on myself to glue a cut. I'm taking blood thinners, which makes common band-aids and gauze pads a rather bloody and messy affair. Glue was much quicker and neater. However, don't try using hardware store cyanoacrylate adhesive for cuts. When mixed with cotton, the reaction is exothermic and produce both a thermal and chemical burn:

Accidental Full Thickness Burns by Super Glue

Yep, which is why I roll the tube from the bottom instead of squeezing near the nozzle.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have always treated 'tubed' media that way. Started decades ago with toothpaste.

The SMT industry uses syringes to get to the same place, where the only media in the media containment device is the media.

I sweat the small stuff. It has had benefits and I dislike the colloquialism "don't sweat the small stuff" and I also think that "Occam's Razor" is retarded and not true and causes error(s).

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Way back in college during the 1960's, a ladyfriend and I broke up primarily because of the way I squeezed the toothpaste tube. I preferred the free form style, which resulted in a tube resembling a modern art sculpture. She would carefully roll the tube from the bottom so as to preserve every precious dollop of tooth paste. Eventually, I came to my senses and realized that she was right. I modified my toothpaste and adhesive dispensing styles and lived happily ever after.

See my first comment in this thread. I use blunt stainless steel syringes attached to bottle dispensers for cyanoacrylate adhesives. The syringe plugs up easily, but that's not a problem. A little flame below the syringe, the dried glue blows a smoke ring, and the tube is cleared.

When the price of a decent cyanoacrylate adhesive that works with plastics approached $10 per 2 gram tube: I began to be concerned about the "small stuff". Note that prices now vary from $7 to $12. A refrigerator would be nice for storing the adhesives that I carry in my vehicle. However, that's not going to happen. So, I look for schemes that do NOT require refrigeration. Why so many glues tubes? I closed down my office and temporarily emptied my car. The box is the combination of house, office, and car. There's more in the fridge.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You didn't think to just open two tubes and use one each?

See, almost 40 years of being married *has* taught me something.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

John Doe wrote in news:rv30rt$fle$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And here you are yet AGAIN with the retarded follow ups to non existent groups and quoting full headers in your response.

You could not be more stupid, putz. Regardless of the validity of your posted reply content.

Change your news client, dumbfuck! Or learn how to set the one you have, because right now, you look as you have for years... dumber than a freshly laid turd.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

And in the same period, Usenet, and you can't even get using that right yet. How can you expect us to believe your stupid posts when you cannot even set your news client up correctly or use one that isn't as retarded as you are?