Re: Need Schematic Of 1 Tube Radio Receiver With Quartz Crystal ForTank

> OK, at 7 MHz a single crystal tank could have enough bandwidth for AM > without too much extra damping. >--

J>ohn Doty, Noqsi Aerospace, Ltd. h.ttp://

-- >Specialization is for robots.

Great! Let's see your single crystal filter design, John. What cut of crystal, and other components are you reccomending? What test equipment will he need to align it, and how much ripple can he expect? After all that stuff you did for NASA you shouldn't even need a napkin to design his filter.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

As I said, this becomes real engineering. That takes time.

I suppose Fulton intended to use ears, but I've seen no requirement.

He didn't state a requirement, but the answer is none. With one dominant resonator, a single-peaked passband is what you expect. The stop band will be more complicated.

Working with NASA is not good training for doing things quickly and simply. And this is a tricky problem. Actually, I think the hardest part will be getting enough gain out of one tube to be able to hear anything at HF: signals and noise up there are less than at MF. The classic trick is to use regeneration, but that boosts both Q and gain, and he presumably doesn't want to boost Q here. But I'd never discourage somebody from experimenting if there's no fundamental flaw in their idea. And I don't think there is a fundamental flaw here, just some tricky design issues that can't be solved by cookbook engineering.

--
John Doty, Noqsi Aerospace, Ltd.
http://www.noqsi.com/
Specialization is for robots.
Reply to
John Doty

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There are certainly cookbook structures, and I even suggested one earlier in this thread. But Fulton wants one tube and one crystal. That's trickier. Maybe there's something useful to him in all those Google hits, but I haven't the time to review that much stuff. He might like a specific suggestion, and neither of us have been terribly much help on that score...