Re: Monster Cables

>> Given that speaker distortion amounts to full

>>> percentage points of the input signal, can gold-plated >>> cables etc. really make that much of a difference? >> >> Differences between speaker cables include their >> capacitance and inductance too but the effect is pretty >> minute. >> >>> Are there other considerations, beyond that of quality >>> construction/cable longevity? >>> >>> Some people swear there is a difference, certainly the >>> mfr of Monster cables, who appeared on The Big Idea, >>> and is apparently making millions. >> >> People are gullible. That's where Monster et al. score. > > Has there ever been a double blind test of cables?

Larry Greenhill did something like that about 25 years ago. I recollect that it was reported in The Audio Amateur. Results? Random guessing.

I attended a Stereophile conference about 15 years ago. > They compared 2 amps, blind, randomly switched to a > variety of short music samples. One $3000, the other > $700; neither a tube amp, as I recall. The audience > voted on their individual score sheets. The final > tally: indistinguishable.

Everybody who is surprised can find themselves a pointed hat and sit in a corner! ;-)

Reply to
Arny Krueger