Re: Loudness calibration?

Is there a specification for phono amps volume control,

> for instance most phono amps have a 0-10 knob, so if > I put in a signal into the phono input I get a Loudness > out the speaker. > > Here's the background, > I design and QC the manufacture of specialized > microphones such as, >
> > Recently I was asked to produce a specification as to > db gain, distortion, stuff like that, but I found for this > application the spec is subjective. > > You can review "loudness" here, >
> and read about the subjectivity.

You are right, the loudness is a bit subjectiv, if you some music. If you use a sine signal and measure the audio pressure level, or the relative change for knob position 0-10 in something like dBU or dB(SPL), and the distortion of the signal in THD or something similar, it is objective:

The EAR has a built in distortion (filter) to accentuate > the 2khz-4khz range that is subjectively agreeable, > to test subjects.

Yes, this is the reason e.g. for dB(A), or the new standard ITU BS.1771.

So I'm wondering if there's some 'rule of thumb' spec to > ratio amplification from 0,1,2...10?

You should read some basics about dB, first.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss