Re: Ideas for Design ;-)

>For your engineering laugh for the day... or maybe sadness, depending >on your point of view, see page 65-66 (Ideas for Design) of the >October 9 edition of Electronic "Design" Magazine. > >Sheeeeesh! > > ...Jim Thompson

That's why I haven't attempted to renew my ED for a couple of years now, though they persist in sending it to me. They seem to have gone to the modern "contentless" model. Even Pease, who I used to enjoy reading, doesn't add much new content, he pretty much just runs fan letters now.

steve

Reply to
Stephan Goldstein

I get the download, easier since it only takes seconds to see all the "content", and there's no paper waste ;-)

Pease does talk of all the mountains he's climbed ;-)

...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

In the old Foothill Flea Market days, Pease would sell his books out the boot of his VW Beatle. I regret not bothering to shoot any photos of those days since the flea market that has replaced it is a poor imitation of the good old days. Dobkin and Williams would be poking around looking for gear for their home labs. The parking lot sale at Weird Stuff used in the "Triumph of the Nerds" PBS series was a mere fraction of the gear at Foothill.

Reply to
miso

Pease sold the books, his and Williams', out of his house, too.

Foothill was killed by ebay. Towards the end, it was pretty much all junk.

One morning at Foothill, I had my head inside a big cardboard box of old books and noticed another head. It was Peter Alfke, the grand old apps engineer of Xilinx. He started his missionary appeal on me, and we've been Xilinx users ever since.

ED keeps getting thinner and thinner. The "editorial content" is pretty much any cheap junk they can dump in to skate past the "magazine rate" rules of the post office. "The Authority on Emerging Technologies for Design Solutions"... what stupid fatheadedness!

John

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0|

What is really bad is when the flea market sellers display ebay auction results next to their gear. They want ebay prices for cash. Fat chance. In these tough times, Craigs sellers are getting just as tough.

At one point Foothill was moved to a spot behind the Blue Cube. The instructions were no photography, which is incredibly stupid since the Blue Cube was practically shut down, and it could be photographed from any number of offices nearby. Besides, who is going to show up but geeks, and the Blue Cube is/was high on the geek scale for years. Well, eventually some sucker got out his camera and security swept in.

Reply to
miso

And Sloman about all of the mountains he's designed.

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell