Re: How to test a power supply ?

>>Hello, >> >>Some have suggested to buy a voltmeter and then test the power supply. >> >>Since computers have special plugs and such, how would one go about >>testing the power supply ? >> >>Are there special plugs necessary ? >> >>(Not that I would ever try it, way to dangerous !) >> >>Do you have a link to a website with some pictures ? >> >>Bye, >> Skybuck. > >If you don't open the case there's nothing that should bite you. > >You need a "dummy load" to load down the PS to test it (many won't >even power up without a load of some sort) > >None of the commercial units, I've seen, put enough load on a PS to >stress it (pulling 10 watts from a 300+ watt supply isn't a real >test). > >There were some dummy load schematics on the web. What would be good >(don't know if anyone is selling it) would be a plug that can be put >between the PS connector and mobo and analyze and monitor the actual >voltages with some lights to tell you if the power is clean.

That all sounds well and good, however, a Power supply test correctly done involves loading it FULLY to its rated spec, and THEN looking at each rail to determine that it complies with the ripple spec. It ALSO must retain the regulated voltage spec from no load through full load.

PC supplies are notorious for having monitoring circuitry that will shut them down if loading on certain rails changes significantly.

The right way to test it is with several electronic loads (very expensive), and an oscilloscope, and ideally, a power factor test device on the input line.

The ATX supply spec has serious voltage regulation and ripple voltage specs, and all are done at full rated loading on the supply.

Reply to
JackShephard