Re: High voltage switch <500µs and max 7kV

Hi

> >I'm looking for a way to switch on and off a high voltage on a very >small electrode for some electrospray experiments. Do you have any >suggestions on what circuits to use for making max 7kV pulses of about >1ms duration? The capacitance is absolutely minimal since the >electrode is only a small metal ring Ø 2mm.

I forgot how high camera flash circuits charge up to.. Maybe one of those might work.

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

Ding!

A programmable flash unit IS the answer.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

He said it has no loading, so it would be the very easy way to get there. Use a transformer and or add a multiplier circuit with small caps so the is not much added loading on the flash circuit. The bulb is a pretty mean (low resistance)load though, so I think it can take it.

I was certain that Xenon flash units pop off at 400+ volts into the tube. Nonetheless, that charging/pulse triggering/timing circuit is a very good place to start for this.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Bummer :( I suspect it's a 'you only know it if you've done it before' thing.. ..Otherwise hours of thought.

If I had to do this, I might try:

Variac + transformer + multiplier.

8:120 Variac + line transformer = 2545Vpk Finish off with a 3X voltage diode/capacitor voltage multiplier. Something like that...(Probably been suggested already.)
  • I like the previously posted relay idea for switching to the load. Ton = 1mS??
Reply to
D from BC

He wanted pulse control, idiot.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

It fires into a transformer, dumbass.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

You're an idiot.

ChairmanOfTheBored

He needs at least one stage of multiplier to rectify things back to DC, dipshit.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

You're a goddamned idiot. The strobe charging circuit charges a cap, and that cap gets fired into a transformer, you stupid f*ck. That transformer steps up the voltage which ends up firing the tube, idiot.

Just like an old car coil ignition firing circuit. A single pulse generates a fast collapsing flux that causes a huge voltage step.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

That is not what I was doing at all, asswipe.

That is simply a strobe charging chip, and YES, it can be used as a front end for MUCH higher voltages, so shut the f*ck up, you goddamned retard.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Fuck you.

Go here and see a REAL strobe firing supply:

ChairmanOfTheBored

I used to make simmer supplies too, dumbfuck. I know exactly what it is for, so f*ck off.

"plush"? I was the one that said it need to be 7kV. The other idiot is the one stating that it is only 200V.

Again, f*ck off.

You're a disingenuous bastard too, I see.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

You're an idiot.

Reply to