Re: Flame detector

In the seventies, in the middle east, we had an automatic fire extinguisher installed (for insurance requirement) which was based on compressed CO2. The flame sensors over the generators were microswitches held open by treated cotton cord, described as "fulminating cotton", which would instantly ignite and release the switch when touched by an open flame. Searching this on line, I cant find any reference to it, except that "fulminating cotton" is evidently gun-cotton, which isn't something you'd want around the house! There do appear to be many flame sensors available, however.

Jitt

Gun cotton is nitro cellulose. Flash paper is the same. Also, ping-pong balls are made of the same thing. It is made by treating cellulose with nitric acid and drying with sulfuric acid. It is one of the key components in smokeless powder.

Reply to
tm

We use a piece of low tensile strength plastic fishing line in side the oscillator cabinet of a 2 Mev Irradiation unit, to detect excessive heat. It holds a wobble switch as it's tied across the area of the 350K watt tube.

Reply to
Jamie