Motor Control Circuit Failure

Can anyone please assist with getting our $200, just-out of-warranty office blender working again?

The after-hours parties just aren't the same anymore.

Initially, the motor always stopped after running about 10 seconds, requiring the start button to be pushed repeatedly. Now it does not start at all.

The circuit diagram for the motor drive is on page 4 of the following (400KB) PDF:

I suspect the triac, but would appreciate an opinion on any other likely present, or future, hot spots.

I see on the net, there have been alot of problems with this supposedly top of the range model. Shame on Breville.

Many thanks,

Bill Langley

Reply to
Bill Langley

Have you had a look around with the VOM ?? Shouldn't take much to isolate the cause ??

Rheilly.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Replace all the electronics with a toggle switch. :^)

(My brother still uses our grandmother's old blender. One toggle switch.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Nah, these days, they also need at least a "low/high" switch. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Nah, they need a chef who knows how to operate a toggle switch.

Reply to
John S

(...)

Wayell, *there's* your problem! :)

But seriously. Have you checked the fuse F1? If it is OK, what happens when you measure the voltage on pin 2 of the relay, RL1? You should see -48 V DC in relation to ground.

If you do see -48 V on pin 2 of RL1, remove relay RL1 and jumper across pins 3 and 4. If it runs properly, suspect the relay or the 'go' switch on the control panel.

If you don't see -48 V DC, suspect switch CN2 'safety switch'.

I've got *lots* more troubleshooting ideas predicated on what you discover.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Thanks very much for your suggestions. Will try them tomorrow and report back.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Langley

the bearing may be getting too hot, bronze bearing is oil soaked, may have dried out.

Usually if it works 10 seconds, the electronics are OK

Reply to
holyhigh

(...)

If you *do* discover that the motor is the root cause of the problem, suggest toss the entire unit over right shoulder and never use the word 'Breville' again.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Well, to get the thing going I had to short both the relay AND the triac. So probably a control board problem. Ripped it all out and installed 10A toggle swtich.

That was all I wanted to begin with Mr. Breville. Not trendy features that increase likelhood of failure. In case you think I am buying a replacement ... forget it. You've lost, and the blender still works.

No wonder retail sales are down.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Bill

Reply to