re: audio transformer, about 30W size (follow up)

Hi,

Just wanted to follow up with comments about how the transformer worked. It worked very well.

I ordered the EA60 (60W, 4 & 8 Ohms, 70V & 100V isolated audio transformer) from Edcor, $28.20. I got the 60W size but probably the

30W would have worked OK, but I figured "bigger is better" when it comes to audio. Isn't that the case with many things, though?

It came in about 2 weeks.

Where the 60Hz power transformer I tried first was sharply resonant at

60Hz (as expected), the EA60 showed pretty flat response from 20 Hz (they only claim 35Hz) to about 5 kHz. Then it begins to droop a little at my 10 kHz test point (voltage waveform was -2 dB), but is still working well at 20 kHz (-5 dB). Some of this is due to my amplifier's characteristics, though. To save time I'm not making careful measurements.

Surprisingly the ancient 6x9" Jensen JCX-240 "Coax" I am driving as a test speaker sounds decent. It must be > 20 years old.

Thanks for the many replies and suggestions.

mw

Reply to
mw

Just a comment: lots of DVM's, even good ones, have rotten high-frequency response, not enough for audio measurements.

John

Whatever you're seeing at 60 Hz, I'll bet that it's not resonance. Paul Mathews

Reply to
Paul Mathews

Some DMMs are quite good up all the way through the audio band and then some-read the specs, then test with a generator and scope, in cal.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig