Re: Any beefy coil driver chips?

Jim Thomps>> >>=20

> >[...] > >>> Now it's off onto the (hot) roof, trying to find a compromise with =

the=20

>> antenna between DTV multipath, intermod choking of all this consumer=20 >>> stuff, dang, wish my luck. >>> >>> The worst is our local station, >50dBuV on the analyzer all the time =

but=20

>> often "no signal" on the TV at night. Pathetic. >>=20 >> Sometimes "hot" is good. Went out this morning to spray rabbit >> repellent, to be greeted by sage full of bees (the sage is in bloom). >>=20 >> I know that bees don't really like extremes of heat, so I waited until >> noon... not a bee in sight ;-) >>=20 > >Be careful, my wife got stung by a bee earlier this week. > >I did burn my right hand up there a bit. Decra metal roof with embedded=20 >granules, looks like shake but touch it and ... phsssss. Anyhow no DTV=20 >improvement to be had. I can boost here and there, looks beautiful on=20 >the analyzer plot but then the TVs fall off the rocker. Maybe the=20 >engineers didn't know what an IP3 is :-( > >Now, off into the pool. Yeehaw!

Jeorg have you tried multiple small antennas and some 90 degree combiners? Point each antenna at one particular antenna site or reflector.

--=20 Transmitted with recycled bits. Damnly my frank, I don't give a dear

----------

Reply to
JosephKK

No, I haven't. A TV station engineer recommended one of those quad or octal bowtie antennas with a large mesh reflector. But to be honest I have limited enthusiasm left for TV these days. We watch (or now try to watch) the local news and when perusing the TV guide for the week that produces just yawns. Thrillers, brutality, none of that we watch. Not much to write home about there. Plus much of the time the guide (and even the on-screen station info!) is wrong anyhow. If channel 3 would move their news from 11pm to 10pm our problems would be fixed. Their signal performs much better.

I also found out that "modern" TV sets aren't better than old ones in large signal handling, maybe worse. The head amp runs with a 10dB attenuator up front. If I take it out I see lots more stations on the analyzer but the TV sets fall off the rocker. My impression is that many younger designers seem not to know anymore what things like IP3 are, or maybe they think it's some sort of new Internet protocol.

What stations do not seem to understand is a trend that could lead to serious ad revenue drop and consequently to layoffs there: Kids often watch their news on the web and fulfill their movie demand via Netflix. We are really close to doing the same.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.