Re: 75 lm/Watt

> 75 lumens per watt is kinda pathetic low end for the latest LED's.

>> See the free LED JOURNAL. > > Given that I'm sure the Osram designs red the LED Journal, I wouldn't be > surprised if theirs isn't that horribly efficient based on attempting to > build a commercial viable product with a decent life rather than just some > lab sample that's characterized during 5 minutes of burn-in?

Actually, California Department of Transportation, Los Angeles Bureau of Street Lighting, Arizona Department of Transportation, and many others have been watching LED lighting to replace current HPS systems. They will move soon after it becomes cost effective. A lot like LED traffic signals, required now for new installations and usually for any upgrade at every signal intersection. 1/6 the power is a real incentive, long term; not to mention 1/20 the maintenance.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

I am sure plenty are watching LEDs for streetlights - and currently doing nothing but watching.

As for traffic lights, those are easy for LEDs to beat bigtime in efficiency. There are a couple reasons:

1) The incandescents in traffic lights are not "standard" incandescents, but ones with vibration resistant filaments and with design life expectancy usually 8,000 hours. Traffic signal lamps have about 2/3 the efficiency of standard incandescents of similar wattage. 2) The red and green filters remove about 2/3 of the light. The yellow filters remove less, but the yellow signals account for only about 5% of the duty - sometimes less. Meanwhile, LEDs are good at specializing in production of light of a particular color.

Don Klipstein

On a snowy day (Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:58:32 +0000 (UTC)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in :

120 lumen 3 color modules within NTSC color spectrum for projectors:
Jan Panteltje