question on charged particals

I have a question on the difference between charged particals and the field generated by a wire. If we could detect it, would a charged particle, say an electron cause a magnetic field? Another Question, say for a piece of copper wire with a electron flow, is the magnetic field a funcion of the the conductor? Would a piece of copper and a piece of iron have a different magnetic field for a given current? I am curious if say water, not pure of course, would generate a magnetic field when a current flows through it. Curious Mick C

Reply to
Michael

Any charged particle that's undergoing an acceleration will produce a magnetic field. An electron is charged and is the main cause of the classical electric current that we use in electronic (therefore the name ELECTRONic) and electricity.

Yes, it is.

Yes, refer to the Maxwell equations. The mu and epsilon coefficients (respectively magnetic susceptibility and dielectrical constant) vary with the considered conductor.

Pure water contains ions (H+ and OH-, those responsible for acidity and alkalinity) but in very low concentration (10^-7 mol per liter).

I think it would but I have no idea the intensity of that field.

Reply to
Dr Gang

Any charged particle that is moving represents an electric current and creates a magnetic field. Acceleration isn't necessary.

Wrong order - the name elecron was invented long after the concept of electricity had been established.

The right answer is "it can be"

In fact, most conductors are like copper and aluminium and the same current generates pretty much exactly the same magnetic field.

A few conducting materials - incluidng iron - are ferromagnetic which complicates the situaton.

Water is not ferromagnetic, so the intensity of the field generated is very close to the intensity of the magnetic field generated by the same current flowing through any other non-ferromagnetic conductor.

Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to
bill.sloman

What makes you think the written order was meant to be the chronological order in my sentence ?

Reply to
Dr Gang

" An electron is charged and is the main cause of the classical electric current that we use in electronic (therefore the name ELECTRONic) and electricity. "

What makes you think that your sentence exhibited any kind of order? Come to think of it, what makes you think that you know enough about electronics and physics to advise other people on the subject?

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen (but in Melbourne at the moment).
Reply to

Maybe my diplomas ? This whole thread makes me think you're full of yourself to the point you need to give precisions to an helpful post (mine, I think), following a reasonable question, precisions that are formulated in a very rude and condescending way. If you don't like the concept of newsgroup, I suggest you get yourself an empty soapbox and preach to the passersby.

Reply to
Dr Gang

The sole purpose of a Usenet newsgroup is to gang bang the cripples.

--
Many thanks,

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Lancaster

But Dr Gang Bang is French. Yecccch ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Which is what those French Veternarians call a "four paw".

--
Many thanks,

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Yes it does, in direct correspondence to the mu and epsilon coefficients. Moreover, magnetic fields in (partially) conductive fluids are used to induce voltages to measure fluid velocity in as variety of circumstances.

--
 JosephKK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to