Question on cap loading on op-amp used for buffering DC

Do the limitations for directly driving a large capacitance (1 ~ 100uF) with a op-amp still apply when it is used to buffer (unity gain) a DC source? Or should you still drive it through a resistor in the feedback loop?

Thanks,

Hal

Reply to
Anonymous

Most definitely.

"Or"? Yes, you should still drive it through a resistor in the feedback loop.

There are op-amps now advertised as being able to drive capacitive loads cleanly; they are arranged so that the output capacitance becomes part of the compensating capacitance. That's about all I know, but if you want you now know what to search for on manufacturer web sites.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Thanks - that was what I thought, but I couldn't fine anything that specifically referred to DC. Thanks again!

Hal

Reply to
Anonymous

One might get away with it if the ESR of the cap were right.

LM8261.

John

John Larkin a écrit :

Yup. Or even without if you really know what you're doing. We won a 10s of megabucks business against a competitor for that who still wonders how it can work. It was the only possible option given all the constraints and works reliably on a few hundreds of $5M equipments.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

I'm not sure what the OP was thinking, but I was thinking of a circuit like this:

___ .-------|___|-------. | Rf | | || Cf | o----||--. | | || | | | | | ___ | |\ | o----------o Vout o---|___|----o--|-\ | ___ | Ri | >--o--|___|---o .---|+/ Ris | | |/ | | --- | --- big honkin' | | | | === === GND GND (created by AACircuit v1.28.6 beta 04/19/05

Ris isolates the op-amp from the load, Cf stabilizes it, and Ri and Rf give the correct DC gain. The positive-gain version is obvious.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Right, that works. The thing has to be tuned, and Ris limits swing/current a bit.

I like lots of ceramics, or a polymer aluminum cap, for big honkin'. The low ESR lets the cap handle fast transient loads, so the opamp loop can relax a little.

The LM8261 saves a lot of thinking, and it can drive pretty hard rail-to-rail.

John

That's the classic structure, and it doesn't take much Ris & Cf to make it work quite well. ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

"h snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

** The slew rate will be limited to about 0.2 volts per *millisecond* due to current limiting.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It's a classic structure, but oft neglected for some reason.

As John L. points out Ris & Cf do need to be tuned. But the tuning can be made pretty broad if you're not up against a performance wall.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Note that this emphatic and self-confident declaration is only valid if you happen to live in the same universe that Phil does, where all possible operational amplifiers have a current drive capability of only

20mA.

If you live in the same universe as National Semiconductor, TI, Fairchild, On, ST, etc., then you will be able easily find op-amps that can drive hundreds of milliamps, and for more money yet (and possibly boutique suppliers), amps. Or if you're a tightwad you can augment a wimpy amplifier's output stage with a few discrete transistors and get the same effect for more fussing (but lower BOM cost).

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

What is wrong with you, Phil?

Bob

-- == All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==

Reply to
BobW

"Bob Wanker"

** Look what f****it got alerted !!

ROTFL

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Interestingly enough, Phil never seems to see the irony when he accuses someone else of being a nutcase.

Take those little pills your doctor prescribes, Phil -- you'll be happier.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

At least she'll be quiet, and everyone else will be happy

Michael A. Terrell

It's both funny and sad. That's part of his mental illness. He certainly would benefit from professional help.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to
BobW

Maybe he should claim stress, and go to the happy-smoke doctor! ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You are more offensive than Phil, with your pathetic jabs from your pathetic peanut gallery, with your pathetic, peanut sized brain.

Even sadder still is that you are unaware of the price you'll pay for those transgressions. Your soul, as you are far too stupid to repent for your life's history of ills before the one ill that counts come calling.

Reply to
Naomi Price

Says the peanut from the left gallery.

Speaking of pots, Mr. Kettle,...