Question for Win Hill

I guess that someone was being sarcastic and she didn't get the joke...

Reply to
Kryten

Yeah, but lots of Spicers don't notice the difference.

I don't bother much about spelling in newsgroup posts, and editing often introduces grammar errors that would be caught by careful proofreading, which I don't do here either. It's like being in a pub and relaxing your spoken language a bit. I only write carefully when it matters, preferably when large amounts of money are involved.

John

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Larkin wrote (in ) about 'Question for Win Hill', on Mon, 3 Jan 2005:

I didn't mean to annoy you, but it's the same as grammar and spelling, with the difference that if you see an unfamiliar symbol, you may not even be able to guess what it should be, unlike a wrongly-spelled word.

I was also bugged by the wrong usage of symbols in Spice (M for milli, K for kilo, Meg for mega and Sec for second). Especially M for mill - errors of nine orders of magnitude tend to have dramatic effects!

John Woodgate

Apart from God (who is arguably fictitious)?

I'm reminded Woody Allen's Raymond Chandler detective spoof -- "Mr. Big" -- in which our hero, is hired by a philosophy student to find God for her. Well, when God turns up on a slab at the morgue, Kaiser is stumped, until he learns that his pretty philosophy major is actually a scientist. We join him as Kaiser returns to his client's apartment. "Something seemed to be troubling her."

"God is dead." she says,

"The police were here. They're looking for you. They think an existentialist did it."

A TV interviewer asked Richard Dawkins if a scientist should take the blame for destroying the notion of God, to which he replied

"I would have thought the word 'credit' a more appropriate word than 'blame'"

Reply to
Kryten

Way back in the dark ages, I decided to graduate from high school early. Involved busing, my dad retiring in a year, and wanting to finish school in Memphis and not Palm Springs...

Anyway, found out I have one big problem - most schools had you apply for financial aid in your junior year, which I had just skipped! One possible solution - an Army ROTC scholarship. So, I sent in the forms, went through the hoops, and one of these was an interview before an evaluation board. Since this had kinda become my best hope, decided to put my best foot forward, and wore my high school ROTC uniform.

As I expected, there were at least 6 other candidates there waiting. Was glad to see I was the only one in uniform! It was either a great idea, or a terrible one! 8-)

A little while later, I got the letter congradulating me on receiving a four year scholarship!

A week later, I got a form letter informing me that the medical baords had been late, and I was disqualified due to insufficient visual acuity... :-(

So, I could see the girl wearing her cheerleading uniform (think legally blonde) if she wanted to emphasize that she would add welcome diversity, but that requires that you have more to back it up...

--
Charlie
--

yes.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Sheesh, Jim says such nice things about me, almost a week goes by, and I'm only now sitting down to take a better look at the issue.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Have fun ;-)