PWM for High-Torque Motors

søndag den 2. maj 2021 kl. 18.30.50 UTC+2 skrev Cursitor Doom:

doesn't need t orun all the time, just needs to be "charged" before you need the torque,

how much torque do you need?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Hmmm. Still doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

Nothing stratospheric. 7.5 ft-lb should do the trick.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

søndag den 2. maj 2021 kl. 19.30.51 UTC+2 skrev Cursitor Doom:

at what speed?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

What sort of speed? This is a motor that was considered for the vent project. It gets you about 10 ft-lbs at 14 rpm. Gear reduction. Seems to hold up to everything we throw at it, but the output shaft has its limits.

Reply to
Rick C

That's pretty much what I'm looking for, TBH. It'll be reduced by a worm and nut arrangement anyway.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

See my follow up to Rick C. Don't over think this! I'm just fishing for general and vague ideas at this stage.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Sorry, forgot to add the link.

In the UK. I'm sure there are others in the US. Much smaller than a starter motor, around $40 if I recall.

Reply to
Rick C

It's all about speed. You can get any torque you want if you gear it down enough, but the speed will be slow, potentially glacial.

Reply to
Rick C

Thanks, Rick. THat's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for - if I can find a model with the right amount of power. Good link!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

On 02/05

And here

TTman

Marinov was a bit of a nutter with all sorts of free energy type claims, but his ball-bearing motor does work in that it rotates, albeit with very poor efficiency. It would take an imagination far greater than mine to envisage a sensible use for it.

I remember this being discussed in 'Wireless World' decades ago with various theories to do with magnetics etc, when it was obvious that it was really just a load of expanding balls.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

søndag den 2. maj 2021 kl. 18.41.30 UTC+2 skrev Cursitor Doom:

it'll turn, but it won't be self starting and will ruin the bearings

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Ceramic bearings can solve the problem. Scott Manley describes the solution:

"Scientists May Have Figured Out Why So Many Spacecraft Were Failing"

Steve Wilson

Trouble with ceramics is they're not very good conductors, though. ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom