PS2 Plug on Serial Mouse

I would like to cut off the serial DB-9 plug on my old ball mouse and replace with a PS2 plug so I can use a standard DIN cable as an extension cord. To do this, I would first fit a DB-9 to PS2 on the old-style serial port of the PC.

I have looked at the pinout charts, but just can't get my hed around this .. what with the adaptor and all.

Can anyone please advise of a logical way to appraoch this?

No insults please, I am old and have already heard everyhting :-)

Nathan Hall

Reply to
Nathan Hall

Spend a couple dollars for the serial to PS/2 adapter to see if that mouse will work in PS/2 mode. Not all of them will.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Buzz out the adapter from paragraph 1 there, and just duplicate its pinout. That should also tell you which goes to where on the mouse cord end.

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A PS2 mouse will use 4 wires. A serial mouse may well use more and as a result may not work. Why not just get a serial extender cable or a PS2/serial mouse that comes with a PS2 to serial adapter and a PS2 plug on its lead?

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

Microsoft serial / PS/2 mouse is labeled as such on the bottom. If it says serial, it's not PS/2 capable.

Jon