Programmable tracking pulse supply.

My 100uH inductor is quite good, its a toroid, with what looks like a bifilar winding (it's partially potted). Its leakage inductance is only 0.6uH.

My loads are symmetrical, but I still worried about the possibility of poor tracking (need at least 5%).

Phil Hobbs wrote:

I had designed a PCB meant for the 260kHz LM2671 Simple Switcher, with an LPT-4545 100uH inductor / transformer. It's similar to my sketch, except the IC's ground pin is on the Vneg output rail. Only the negative output is controlled.

Finishing a set of measurements, I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it works. With no load there was some excess voltage on the pos output. From 5mA to over 300mA (my test range), the neg output stays at the setpoint, as expected. And the positive output starts better than 0.1 % at 5mA, and degrades by only 0.4 % at 300mA. This is damn good, far better than my requirement.

In addition to my low leakage inductance, perhaps my high 100uH magnetizing inductance helped, by insuring CCM and reducing the current ripple.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

On 20 May 2015 15:13:03 -0700, Winfield Hill Gave us:

Only bifilar. At that frequency, I would use a Litz wire. Plenty of cloth wrapped stuff real cheap out there. Huge performance gain.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Awesome numbers! 300mA @ +/- 15V... I can use some of those.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Arrgh! Leessee, the Inverse SEPIC, or zeta converter topology accomplishes that goal, moving the ripple from the output capacitor to the input capacitor. But it also requires moving the switch, which breaks the cute single-switch scheme of the SEPIC + Cuk design. You have something else in mind, I imagine.

--
Thanks,
    - Win

Actually I have your Bushmills in mine, what a great idea.
Sorry for hijacking your thread. I promise to get back to this ripple
current steering thought in a few days.
Everyone is so nice in this thread.

Cheers,   Harry D.
Reply to
Harry D

My mistake, sorry, my test limit was 100mA. To go to 300mA you'd want a smaller inductor, 33 uH, etc.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I'm a huge fan of litz & have a good stock of various types I've special ordered. But this isn't a high-power app, high Q isn't important, and stocked (Mouser) off-the-shelf transformers are a big plus. The good 0.1% performance data is a clue that further enhancement isn't needed. My converter has a 0.45W loss at 3.3W out, 84% efficient, but my application (1ms, 40W pulses, once a second) consumes 40mW average power and the 84% efficiency will only cost 6 milliwatts.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

[snip]

Wow, that's an expensive part, the LPT4545. Looks like 1.5USD. You can make an entire separate supply for a lot less than that price

Something like an inverting boost, perhaps MHz switching device

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Use iso-optulator?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes, it is expensive, $10 at Mouser qty 100, and $5 at Avnet, qty 1k. Don't know why, ask Vishay Dale. But I like its low leakage inductance (and I had gotten 30 of them on eBay for a song). The LM2671 is $1.50 and my preferred NCV8852 is $1.44 This design is for folks with no electronics experience, so I want off-the-shelf parts. Clinical app where cost doesn't matter much, pulsed AC electroporation.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I have a new favorite candidate controller IC, TI's TPS40200. It has a programmable soft start.

And, I've discovered that moving the diode to the other side of the secondary, and adding a capacitor, would turn the positive side into a zeta converter, see TI app note slyt372.

Taking feedback from the zeta converter side would eliminate a RHP zero, allowing for simpler, faster loop compensation than a SEPIC.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Or an iso-oculator.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Or a couper-optler.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Here's an update, with unbalanced-load measurements.

Executive summary, performance: With matched loads, 0.1% at 5mA, < 0.4% to 100mA. With unbalanced loads, observe -1.2% and +0.5% at 55mA mismatch, -2% and +1% at 125mA mismatch.

(In both cases a small balanced load (10-20mA) was required to tame the beast; with no neg load, un-reg pos side sagged -7% with a 100mA load.)

Much better than my 5% goal and a predicted >10%.

This shows it's possible to make an reasonably- accurate dual tracking supply with just a single switcher IC. The inductor must have low leakage inductance to its secondary, < 1%, and a modest minimum load (5 to 10% of max) must be employed.

- W> Joerg wrote...

--
 Thanks,
    - Win