product somebody could do

Our Dells at work are the real pits. My Thinkpad doesn't have the grounding problem but has other audio "issues".

Reply to
krw

Well, mine is not any of the plastic laptops but a real one, made from the good stuff (metal):

What I really like is that they don't change models on every little whim. More like the Land-Rover of laptops. For me robustness counts a ton more than being super-modern, I depend on the machine at clients.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

My ThinkPad has a titanium cover and is pretty well built. Unfortunately the drivers are the pits. Apparently Lenovo has totally screwed up the entire lineup. This is likely the last ThinkPad I'll own.

I don't travel all that much, but we did have our two ThinkPads with us on our weekender in Atlanta a few days ago. I'll look into the DuraBooks as a replacement. I haven't seen any laptops I like.

Reply to
krw

I am impressed that the LiIon hasn't lost any noticeable capacity in over three years. Maybe they did the right thing and keep it a little under 4.2V. But be warned, this is a "mil-style" laptop. Very heavy and the fan makes one heck of a racket, very loud. Not something you'd want to run in your home office all day long.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg
[snip]

Hmmmm? I have an X61s. No problems whatsoever (once I uninstalled the NAV that came pre-installed).

What drivers have you found problematic?

...Jim Thompson

I noticed that the display is pretty meager too. External VGA only and I didn't see any docks or port replicators. Not good.

Reply to
krw

Not sure really. Seems everything has been going downhill since I bought it a couple of years ago. My original T60 was a mess when I gave it to the kid. He stripped everything Lenovo off it and it worked OK (the screen is now on its last legs though). My wife has a newer T60 that hasn't been too bad, despite having a Vista preload. This T61 has been a nightmare. When I dock it, sometimes it'll power itself off - hard. Only removing the batteries will bring it back. It often loses the keyboard and mouse, requiring a reboot. The Dock quit working (no display, internal or external) until I left it (the dock) powered off for a week. Power management is the pits.

Reply to
krw

around

Well, this isn't a laptop for full living room media performance, it's a plain workhorse. One of the really important points for me was that mine has a RS232 port.

The display is fully sufficient for me. Main thing is that it's rugged. And no, I don't think there's a docking station. I've never needed one of those.

Oh, and the sound from the speakers is absolutely horrid but that didn't matter to me either :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

semester

into

OK.

around

I don't need a "living room multimedia" PC, but do like lotsa dots. It makes things much easier to read, or allows one to read more.

I really only want one PC, most of the time living on a desktop but I

*do* want to be able to take it with me. The DuraBook didn't support any DVI. My ThinkPad doesn't have a DVI port but its docking station does. My 24" display is happy with that situation. It does *not* like VGA.

I don't care about that either, though a decent sound card is somewhat important.

Reply to
krw

[...]

Then the Durabook is not for you, the fan racket alone would drive you or your wife nuts. Nine years ago I also had the idea of having one powerful (well, back then...) laptop for office plus road. Didn't work because that means short battery life plus it can never really rival a big deskptop.

Out here it often goes like this: Client calls right after lunch on a hot summer day, some big problem. SPICE gets fired up, it's a balmy 85F in the office. Fans in the big PC come on full bore, lots of warm air streams out the back, by late afternoon the problem and a fix is found and the office temp is above 90F. I don't know how a laptop can possibly survive that for long. One one of them I wore down two hard drives.

What I like about it is the rather quiet input. It has found noise that big name brand analyzers couldn't see.