Precision wirewound pot wiper bounce?

Confusion is my middle name (along with forgetful and sleepy)

Reply to
David Eather

You're confusing posts too. He was snapping/snarling at me because he had confused posts. A comedy of errors.

Reply to
oparr

I keep thinking of the skull,laughing on "Lawnmower Man II". The virus that ate that guy's PC. No... wait... it was the other movie. "Johnny Mnemonic".

Reply to
Mycelium

The rise is actually faster than most SS, limited by lower impedances (charging that couple pF probe with a Thevenin source of around 2.5kohms).

relays. Easily 1ns edges.

  • As far as i could tell (in those days) with a "S" plugin and a few tricks, the rise/fall was better than 500pSec and most likely better than 100pSec.

generate harmonics out to insane frequencies. The switch doesn't make full contact for at least a few microseconds, so the edge is caused by point contact alone. At low voltages, quantum tunneling will carry current across the gap a few nanometers before it touches. Over 50V, in gas, arcing will occur at some distance. In high vacuum, this is replaced by field emission at high electric fields (usually leading to sputtering and vaporization of the contacts, so there is wear even on a vacuum relay). Needless to say, any of these contact methods has high resistance and high current density until things settle down and the contact area widens (which takes a few bounces!).

Reply to
Robert Baer

I know this sounds a bit strange, but if you are interested, try turning to pot ent to end some hundreds of times. It may be a faint bit of oxidazation on the element. Of course of you can disassemble it you could try scrubbing the element with a green meanie.

Reply to
quiettechblue

Is that some sort of coarse-fine single knob thing? Maybe you could sub in a concentric coarse-fine pot.

Reply to
quiettechblue