power supply oops

I designed this little photodiode amp, and it works fine, but if the power supplies come up in the wrong sequence, it hangs up. I should have expected this. If +6 comes up before -6, the -3.3 rail goes to

+1.2, and probably the negative LDO hangs up. I call this "power supply pull-through" but maybe there's a better term.

These are cool:

It's a 1 amp, 30 volt schottky diode that drops into an 0603 footprint. We'll replace a couple of bypass caps, on the +3.3 and -3.3 rails.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yeah, lots of linears won't start up if you pull their outputs through ground. A BAT54S cures a lot of dual-supply ills. ;)

I'm finishing up a fancy diode laser controller for an outfit in Finland that would probably have a lot of those sorts of issues if it weren't for strategically sprinkled Schottkies.

That diode is potentially pretty useful, I agree. A good thing to have in the kit, for sure.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Huh, nice. I stuck a Schottky (1N5817) on the gate of 'my' thermal FET so that it wouldn't go too negative. It reduced the 'leakage' current some.. (3 mA to 0.3mA) but still not enough.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Did everyone forget the first thing about electronic design ? God damn I thought I was in the company of qualified folks. Jeez, I know better.

You are the engineer, the designer of the circuit. You are responsible for the power up and power down cycle of this device.

You just forget that when convenient ?

Reply to
jurb6006

Everything you design works correctly first time, I assume?

Credit to JL for admitting to us that he got trapped - presumably *before* shipping this error to customers and having to fix it for them.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

The board works first rev, and we're going to sell a lot of them for about 12x what they cost to make. So keep on whining!

lunatic fringe electronics

Don't let your customer get to know that.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

We really sell IP, not parts. Microsoft charges kilobucks for a

25-cent CD.

All our customers have the option to get a better deal somewhere else. One good customer has told us that we could charge more and they'd still be happy. A $5K VME module is below the noise floor to what they are building. They want performance and support.

We made a small mistake on a bunch of data acquisition cards (high-rate DMA data dumps of FIFOS caused a 20 uV input offset, rectified digital glitches) and they wanted to pay us to fix them! We never take money to fix our mistakes.

lunatic fringe electronics

I always wondered why bench supplies don't have programmable delays so you could test things like that.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

After having (one of my very few :-) chip failures due to sequencing, I added power supply sequencing to my simulation protocols.

I also do a slow slew test on the power supply ramping... had one chip that sucked enough current during a slow ramp-up that the supply choked... ruined neither chip or supply, but was a royal PITA. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

One series of Xilinx FPGAs acted as if there were farads of capacitance across the core. You had to pull Vcc_core up hard and fast.

Lots of mixed-signal parts latch up if the supplies are sequenced wrong, or one supply starts on the wrong side of zero.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yep. Also: Even most 74HCxxx parts will crowbar the rails if VDD is ramped up slowly enough... I have resorted to what is basically a DC-coupled POR that holds logic in a frozen state until 80% of VDDmin is reached.

Yes. What you and Phil do with diodes I do (on-chip) with MOSFET's that lock off current paths until both supplies are the right polarity. ...Jim Thompson