Potentiometer to A/D converter

I'll try to get our guys to switch to Blackfins if you do the same with your guys, Keith. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Blackfin was in the running but didn't have a full G.729 implementation. Sometime during the TI debacle, our Arrow rep got our lead firmware guy a Blackfin T-Shirt. He wears it when TI is in town. ;-)

Have you ever noticed that TI never shows up with one or two people? They bring a cast of thousands. ;-) They even bring along an analog guy or two to try to draw some fire. It doesn't work, their analog stuff does. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I like it ! Best tip I've seen in a long time.

Reply to
TTman

--
That's really none of your business.
Reply to

--
So I shouldn't come to my own conclusions, but instead kow-tow to the
decisions made by a nasty, vindictive, narcissistic individual like

Thanks for the offer, but no...
Reply to
John Fields

But you don't come to your own conclusions. You just invert mine.

John

Most serious design engineers agree with me about Maxim. It's not libel, it's consensus.

John

The truth is the ultimate defense against the charge of libel.

Reply to
krw

--
Not true.

I've used Maxim and, as a matter of fact, they pulled me out of a jam
once with a real-time clock with just enough RAM in it to allow me to
store system variables and not have to buy external RAM or get a micro
with more RAM.

So from that experience, and others, my dealings with them have always
been pleasant and I've concluded that they're OK.

YMMV, but I disagree with your libelous and inaccurate blanket
statement that: "Don't use Maxim." is the first rule of electronic
design, because it just isn't.
Reply to
John Fields

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation
Reply to

Here's the law that applies...

I'm surprised that Maxim hasn't whacked Jerkin up the side of his head for all his mouthing. ...Jim Thompson

So Maxim will sue me? As if!

If I call you a moron, will you sue me?

John

If one of your guys gets bored, he might roll his own implementation of a suitable codec? It is time consuming, certainly, but at least then you have it in-house forever and can just re-compile as needed... (That being said, I would have to admit that for the application here, when it comes to all-digital modulation schemes, G.729 looks pretty decent -- these days you have to be careful not to step on someone's patent trying implement something similar of your own...)

Nice!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

It's hard to beat what telecom companies have spent a lifetime perfecting. Rolling your own G.729 doesn't solve the licensing issue. AIUI, G.729 licenses aren't cheap.

Reply to
krw

True, although they're always cooking up new variants as well -- G.729 emphasizes low latency over bandwidth efficiency, for instance.

Right, that's what I meant about not stepping on patens. These guys seem hard at work at a possible substitute:

... and actually have a few guys with the right DSP background to potentially pull it off. (Granted, you'd want to spend a little more bandwidth to get a little fidelity.)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Known compression is nice, too, as is packet-loss concealment.

Fidelity? ;-) 8kHz audio would be nice but I don't think we'd want to pay the bandwidth for it.

Reply to
krw