Possible to run CAN at faster than 1Mbps with extra short distances between nodes?

Hey there - we are currently embarking on a project that will use CAN to connect various PCBs. All of these PCBs are within about 30cm of each other. We would like to "overclock" the CAN bus. Specifically, we're hoping to squeeze 2 or 3mbps out of it. How feasible do you think this is? Again, the entire length of the bus will be about 30cm or less. We will survive at 1Mbps, but we will be happier with 2 or 3. Any ideas?

Additionally, what can we do to maximize the speed possible?

Lastly - can anybody clarify the difference between an RS-485 transceiver and a CAN transceiver? I thought RS-485 was just a simple differential bus, but I also read somewhere that RS-485 transceivers and CAN transceivers are essentially identical, so that makes me a bit more confused. The reason I ask is this: would it be possible to use RS-485 transceivers in place of the CAN transceivers in order to achieve RS-485ish speeds? I see that TI has some rated for 40mbps or so. We don't need anything that fast - but a couple mbps would make us very happy.

Thanks!

-Michael

Reply to
Michael