PIR Sensor Question

Can anyone point me to a good link or website that has technical information on how PIR sensors work? I am thinking about using one to sense the presence of a person or a pet, and want to know in detail how they work, and what are the pro's and cons.

Thanks!

-Terry-

Reply to
Terry

This patent document might give some idea

Ross Herbert

Here is a great explanation and example circuit:

Modern ones are designed *not* to detect pets, to prevent false alarms.

The new "dual PIRs" combine a microwave sensor with the traditional PIR, in which both sensors must activate before the trigger is sent. Once again to help prevent false alarms.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones