PIN Diode Ratings

Software

It makes a big difference. In PV mode, diode series resistance will limit current a lot sooner than it will limit current when the diode is back-biased.

Small-spot illumination in PV mode is the worst.

John

Software

You could possibly test that, like so:

Take a strong lamp with a dimmer. Mount two of those PDs but put a strong attenuating material in front of one. Something that cuts down the PD current by a factor of 10 or more. The attenuated one would then operate in its linear range while the open PD gets the full brunt. Now crank up the dimmer and see if and where the ratio between the two begins to change.

If done by his book it has to be perfect :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Customer who wants to control light level, and do so fast, actually.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

B-

le

ght

uch

hat

the

high

wescottdesign.com

Thanks, most of the time I'm groveling in the uA range. When I designed it I didn't even know how make a quite power supply for biasing.

(Are you ever embarrassed by your old designs?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Wouldn't it be easier just to filter the input, rather than desensitize the detector?

RL

Reply to
legg

DB-

dle

ight

much

g_ that

ly

are the

too high

.wescottdesign.com

t.)

Yeah I did something like that. I had a laser and a piece of glass, about 10% reflection and 90% transmission, so with a detector on each side you are set to go.

Hmm nothing I ever do is perfect.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ttdesign.com- Hide quoted text -

Is there a problem contacting the manufacturer?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Do you need the blue enhanced response? Blue-enhanced photodiodes have very thin epi, which makes for lots of lateral voltage drop at higher photocurrents.

It's almost certainly good for a milliamp with reasonable lineearity anyway. A similar device that I'm quite fond of is the SFH206.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

[...]

Ah, so you must be married, too :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That one isn't running out of carriers, it's running out of bias voltage. Check the top of the curve--R_L=100K, so it flatlines at 50 uA at 5V bias.

You can get into high level injection limits, but not at 50 uA.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The TAOS and Intersil sensors are reasonable, but very very slow. For controlling light bulbs, they're probably fine--that's more or less what they're designed for.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You know the rules...

(1) The boss is always right

(2) When the boss is wrong refer to Rule (1)

It's really easy once you understand the rules... coming up soon, 52nd anniversary ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Software

No. Other than I can't remember why I did it that way ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Software

Well, sort of. Some things were grossly inelegant, in that later versions were much better.

When I was just a kid, I did classic amateur hairball asynchronous logic design. This pulse fired that one-shot which hit that flipflop, counters cleared themselves, unijunctions fired, nightmares like that. Heck, DEC designed the PDP8 that way, a mess of RCs and delay lines and start-stop clocks and junk running around in circles. One day a kind soul inducted me into the Church of Synchronous Design. But I still do an async trick now and then.

John

As you know personally, Naomi rolls her eyes a lot ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Software

Oh yeah, the first PDP-11 was an async mess. You could toggle in a short program that locked it up.

John

And an astounded mother-in-law. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah, but I think I'm my worst critic, My wife is fairly forgiving... Thank God*

George H.

*I'm mostly agnostic, so I'm allowed to invoke God 1/2 the time.

Reply to
George Herold

/PDB-

andle

light

e much

_ that

at

re the

oo high

ww.wescottdesign.com

)

do

My only excuse is that I didn't know better, at the time.

Honesty is only way to go.

George H.

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |