Piddling around with more LEDs

The fluorescent lighting in the store doesn't help. However, switching back to incandescents is guaranteed to eliminate the problem.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Jan Panteltje wrote in news:givmsm$i88$1 @news.datemas.de:

I bought some flickering LED "candles" at a craft store - just wondering, maybe the OP can get a few and take them apart? Individually, they're usually around $2.99 locally, but the packs of 6 don't cost much mroe than the single packs.

Would that help at all?

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Sure! Which craft store?

(I have some painted metal "carolers" with candle holders. Real candles don't do well in Arizona's always at least slightly windy conditions. I built up some old "foo counter" style NE-2 oscillators, but they're not bright enough to show the way I'd like.)

...Jim Thompson

LED poisoning, ugh...

--
Adrian C
Reply to

diode,

current

exposed lamp filament? (but it's PTC not NTC)

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I'd think the wax would evaporate before you can open the package. ;-)

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If they are Chinese LEDs, it would be lead LED poisoning.

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If they're not RoHS, it would be lead lead LED poisoning.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Not in Winter! Current temperature at 5:50PM is 51°F... brrrr :-(

...Jim Thompson

It would have been 100 degrees colder than that when I was in Alaska, and it still hit the mid to high 80s in the summer.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It would be appropriate if the idiots in Belgium died from it.

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Which brings up the obvious questions... Can one use LED indicators and be RoHS compliant? Is there a RoHS LED?

Is there Arsenic in old LEDs? Are they RoHS compliant?

--
Keith
Reply to

That has flicker in USA having fundamental frequency 120 Hz.

Those with vision sensing flicker at frequency that high on/near Earth's surface tend to be insects, aliens or other things than anywhere-near-typical human beings.

I suspect very strongly that for close to 99% of humans, something more energy-efficient than that and economical is now available.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

On a sunny day (26 Dec 2008 23:57:18 GMT) it happened Jasen Betts wrote in :

diode,

current

That would work, PTC / NTC makes no difference, just use the AC component :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Many, many of the LEDs in DigiKey catalog are marked "RoHS Compliant"

Reply to
Michael

PWM

Yes, and that flicker apparently masks the 60Hz flicker from the bulbs.

I can easily see fluorescent flicker if it's close.

No thanks. Burned once. $150 down a rat hole is several years worth of electricity for the incandescent replacements. Incandescents are an order of magnitude cheaper than new LEDs, so no savings to be had there either.

--
Keith
Reply to

te:

rote:

l-

t), a PWM

line.

nt... my

all LED

rrible

next

lidays

d of

some

hey have

ating.

see a

rth's

The frequency response of my fovea is not as fast as the rest of my eye. I don't see the flicker when I look directly at the tube. With just one tube, I can see it in the lighting of the room. Most two tube ballasts do a good job of putting about a 90 degree phase shift on the current to the two tubes so I only notice the flicker when one tube is out.

The new "high efficiency" lights, that use the thin tubes don't make as much flicker. They just fail and burn out their tubes, flicker and flash in their own funny rhythm and draw a lot more current than the old ballasts did.

e the

more

Reply to
MooseFET

Ouch.

Reply to
ehsjr

Sno-o-o-ort!

"Arsenic 'n' Old Lace" and "Harvey", two of my favorite old movies.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

I'll bet that you are older than the 'Old Lace'. ;-)