Phototransistor fed to a transimpedance amplifier

I remember seeing that earlier this year. Between that and Sutro, you folks can probably draw sparks between your fingertips if you stand just right. ;)

Cheers

Phil "Living in a fairly benign EMI environment" Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

First stop on the trip was Homer. Agree it's a great little town. There was an ultrasonic level sensor at the head of a new wastewater treatment plant, controlling a couple of pumps with VFDs. Of course a very glamorous assignment :). The PE had run the instrument power with the motor power and this caused the sensor electronics to reset every 20 seconds or so. They had to control it by hand 24/7. It was part of the contractors check-off list, and they wanted to make sure it was really fixed, so I got to spend a few day wandering around Homer. The fish restaurants on the spit really spoil you.

Commercial fishing is big in Alaska, and the Fish and Game guys cut off the season after the boats reach a certain catch limit. They weigh the fish when the boats off-load. This leaves a lot of capacity still at sea after cut-off, so they don't get much precision in their control. So after Homer, I got to go out to Dutch Harbor to judge the feasibility of weighing the catch right on board the boats.

I didn't get a chance to go to Kodiak. The area is certainly lovely, but what is the draw of Spruce Island?

--

Best Regards,

ChesterW
+++
Dr Chester Wildey
Founder MRRA Inc.
Electronic and Optoelectronic Instruments
MRI Motion, fNIRS Brain Scanners, Counterfeit and Covert Marker Detection
Fort Worth, Texas, USA
www.mrrainc.com
wildey at mrrainc dot com
Reply to
ChesterW

The inductors on the outside look really cool. I'm doing that on my next design! :)

--

Best Regards,

ChesterW
Reply to
ChesterW

It's where St. Herman of Alaska lived. He was a monk from Valaam in north-w estern Russia who with his brothers walked all the way across Siberia and c rossed the sea to bring the Gospel to the indigenous people of what was the n Russian Alaska. They all died there. Herman spent his life in service to them, often opposing the Russian authorities on their behalf.

Really a remarkably holy place--there are pilgrimages there all the time. M aybe next year.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Did you try adding a 4th toroid as a tri-filar common mode filter? BTW, did the red and blue toroids get close to saturation on power peaks? That increases their loss and tends to (at minimum) shift the spike phase for an even lower interference.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It's a harsh country even today. I can only imagine what it was like in Herman's time.

--

Best Regards,

ChesterW
Reply to